Missing Sound (Solved)

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Ray

Missing Sound (Solved)

Post by Ray »

As a long time user of Goldwave I must first say what a great piece of software, never had a problem over many years of use (until now :P ).

I have for some months now been converting my extensive LP collection to mp3 so that I can play on my TV (now living in a Retirement Village) rather than record player. To date the process has been really successful with several hundred lp's converted, however when I started a conversion yesterday there was no sound. I have always listened to the tracks while recording (via the Line In connection on my computer) so it's never been a problem before. I had updated my Win10 to the latest version the other day but that does not appear to be the problem as I checked with the Audacity program and that has the sound while recording. I was running Goldwave 6.41 so I checked for updates, downloaded and installed 6.43 but the error, no sound, was still present. I can't think of anything that I have adjusted so I wonder if there has been some change to Goldwave in this regard. Any one have any ideas or have I inadvertently stuffed up some settings.

Ray
Last edited by Ray on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Missing Sound

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Updating Windows can change a lot of things. Be sure to select (or change) the recording device in GoldWave (press the F11 key, Device tab). If the sound driver was updated, that may reset the device back to the microphone default. Also try adjusting the volume control there.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks for the response. I have checked the devices and they are the same as usual, Playback is Sharp HDMI (Nvidia High Defintion Audio), Record Realtek High Definition audio. These settings are the same as in Audacity which works fine with no sound problems whatsoever. I do appreciate that Windows can/does cause major problems when updating - resetting my music folders to upset the sequencing of tracks being another major problem for me. However I can still use Audacity to record and Goldwave to do all the heavy lifting.

Ray
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Realtek drivers are known to cause problems. In GoldWave, press the F11 key and choose the System tab. Make sure WASAPI is selected, then reselect the recording device. If that doesn't work, try using DirectSound and select the recording device on the Device tab and the input on the Volume tab. If you are still having trouble, you can choose the Information button on the System tab and email the details through the Contact page.
Ray

Post by Ray »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:09 am
Realtek drivers are known to cause problems. In GoldWave, press the F11 key and choose the System tab. Make sure WASAPI is selected, then reselect the recording device. If that doesn't work, try using DirectSound and select the recording device on the Device tab and the input on the Volume tab. If you are still having trouble, you can choose the Information button on the System tab and email the details through the Contact page.
Problem now resolved, after checking through all the above with no positive results, I returned to the Control Properties - System - Configuration - Recording, selected Line In, right clicked for Properties, then Listen and lo and behold the Listen to this device was OFF, switched on and all was back to normal.

I have no idea how this was switched off, have never in all my years with Goldwave entered this part of the program. However I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, things are back to normal, many thanks for the responses and relief that my goto program is back to normal.

Ray