Feedback/Request - Zoomed Cursor Editing

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Stratcat51

Feedback/Request - Zoomed Cursor Editing

Post by Stratcat51 »

Hi I have been using Goldwave for about a year now, small beer to users who have been using it since it came out many years ago. Sadly although I was recommended it by a good friend who uses it for preparing sound effects and tracks for stage theatre productions it has taken me several years to catch up.

Well now I'm using it for editing wave files in quite some detail, I make use of zooming in and chopping large wave files using the cue marking tool. In doing so I am normally trying to remove 'no sound' that was created during recording. To do this I slide the selections cursor to the point I want to cut a wave at and set a cue point. In doing this, the Vu Meters very usefully indicate any sound level at the cursor point to cut.

The issue is that I think that the Vu Meters react when the back of the brace (handle used to move the curson on screen) reaches any sound and NOT when the vertical line cursor arrives at that point. This may sound silly but it has made it difficult to get precise cutting using the Vu meters and cursor combined. Am I correct, and is it something that could be fixed in a later release of Goldwave.

A second request, not flagged in the title of this thread as I am sure others have asked for similar, is to have a batch facility to balance out wave files for 'loudness'. Often I am finding that I have prepared waves at different sessions and though I try to get balanced levels between sessions they aren't. It would be great to batch process these to even then out.

Other than that, Goldwave is a fantastic piece of software, superbly flexible and no I didn't notice any slow speed startup so I may need to update to the latest release.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Feedback/Request - Zoomed Cursor Editing

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The VU meters are centered on the marker's position, so it includes some audio left and right of the marker. That is by design. Using audio only to the left of the marker would always be behind/delayed. Also most other visuals require centered data. You could select the Waveform visual to see the exact waveform at the marker. However a faster and easier approach is to use Edit | Trim | Silence. That will remove silences from ends of the recording. Or you can use the Silence Reduction effect to remove or reduce all silences. Also the AutoCue feature can set cue points at silences.

Recent versions of GoldWave include a Loudness effect. To adjust the loudness of files in Batch Processing, you'd add a Loudness preset to the Process tab. Please see the help for more information about creating a good preset for the Loudness effect.