A couple feature suggestions for Goldwave

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Ben321

A couple feature suggestions for Goldwave

Post by Ben321 »

Please add in the atan2 function for the expression evaluator. Currently, the atan function in the expression evaluator is a single-argument atan function. It goes from -pi/2 to pi/2 and then wraps around. However the 2-argument atan function allows calculating the angle around the entire circle from -pi to pi. In C and C++ this function is called atan2. Please consider adding atan2 to the expression evaluator of Goldwave.

In the spectrum filter, please allow an upper frequency greater than 100kHz. When using a sample rate higher than 200kHz, the highest frequency possible will be over 100kHz, and the spectrum filter doesn't allow this currently. Please allow this.
Tristan

Re: A couple feature suggestions for Goldwave

Post by Tristan »

Are you a radio astronomer or something?

In the everyday world, the noise floor will get you long before you get anywhere near 100kHz, unless there's something you know that everyone else doesn't.

For most people, the maximum sample rate for recording is 96kHz because they can't get anything useful in an audio signal above 48kHz. I'd love to know what sort of equipment you use that can register a usable signal above 48kHz.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

If you are a scientist, I understand that MATLAB (or the MATLAB clones) can read WAV files and do FFT and almost any math or statistics that you can think of.

I'm just a GoldWave user, but GoldWave is an audio program. ;)
Ben321

Post by Ben321 »

Tristan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:05 pm
Are you a radio astronomer or something?

In the everyday world, the noise floor will get you long before you get anywhere near 100kHz, unless there's something you know that everyone else doesn't.

For most people, the maximum sample rate for recording is 96kHz because they can't get anything useful in an audio signal above 48kHz. I'd love to know what sort of equipment you use that can register a usable signal above 48kHz.
Plenty of ways to get above 100kHz. Most of these aren't from recording equipment, but rather from performing non-linear operations in the expression evaluator part of goldwave. Either generating harmonics or use of amplutude modulation (multiplying by a sinewave) can easily generate frequencies well over 100kHz with an amplitude well ABOVE the noise floor. After generating such high frequencies intentionally, one will typically want to filter out all lower frequencies. Now I can do one of 2 things, stick with the less-than-ideal 100kHz limit of the spectrum filter as it's currently limited, or use the high-pass filter (which can go well above 100kHz) which unfortunately is an IIR filter. I say unfortunately because an IIR filter destroys the phase relationships between signals of different frequencies.

I commonly use Goldwave for processing signals for scientific purposes, NOT as an input or output software. The input software can get me raw data, which can then be loaded in Goldwave via its raw loading feature, and then be processed in Goldwave, and then be saved back to a raw file again (the processed signal that is output from Goldwave can then be used in other software).
DougDbug wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:38 pm
If you are a scientist, I understand that MATLAB (or the MATLAB clones) can read WAV files and do FFT and almost any math or statistics that you can think of.

I'm just a GoldWave user, but GoldWave is an audio program. ;)
Audio is nothing more than a signal that can be heard by the human ear. If goldwave can process audio, it can process anything. It just needs some of its features expanded. No need to spend well over $1000 for Matlab, when I can request the developer of a cheaper program add a specific feature to that program

It is NOT UNREASONABLE to ask for a spectrum filter to have a significantly increased upper frequency limit. The program Goldwave itself officially supports sample rates up to 500kHz, which means a maximum frequency of 250kHz. Why does the spectrum filter not go up to 250kHz? Why does it stop at 100kHz. That's a question I hope the developer can answer.

I wonder why the dev hasn't officially commented on my feature requests. Doesn't he view the forum? And also, there was a second feature request I made, addition of the atan2 (2-argument atan function) to the list of functions that the expression evaluator is capable of calculating.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Expression Evaluator does not support multiple argument functions, so that would be a significant change.

I'll look into raising maximum frequency for the Spectrum filter.