Silence Reduction with Cue Points

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Leprechaun

Silence Reduction with Cue Points

Post by Leprechaun »

My interest in Silence Reduction may be too specific/unique for attention, and that's okay. However I'll throw this out for consideration:

I primarily edit audiobooks—mostly for my own pleasure—and find most books require considerable extending and shortening silences (sometimes even those narrated by acclaimed actors! shhh….) I just made an attempt to reduce the effort by marking chapters with Cue Points, then running an arbitrary Silence Reduction, hoping that the Cue Point definitions would be adjusted to remain within the silence. No joy.

It seems that it would be possible to accomplish this and I expect that it would require so much overhead to be a daunting task, and never gain traction. Nevertheless, conversation about this effort should be interesting and might be rewarding … or maybe illuminating?

Thanks for reading!
-Sean-
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Silence Reduction with Cue Points

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Unfortunately effect processing that changes the length of the selection does not support preserving the relative positions of cue points (that would be very complex for effects such as Doppler). One thing you can do is to set the cue points, split the file into separate chapter files, use the Silence Reduction effect, then use the File Merger to join the files together again. You may even prefer keeping the chapters in separate files anyway.

Another option is to select the audio between two cue points (you can right-click in the cue point slot to quickly do that), then use the Silence Reduction effect. You'd repeat that for each chapter.