Processing voice recording for podcast?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
ironman

Processing voice recording for podcast?

Post by ironman »

I've used Goldwave in the past for removing noise from analog voice recordings, but now I'm looking to process recordings of my voice for a podcast. I'm using a dynamic microphone and I think I have good clean recordings to start with, but they could use a little more post-processing to give it some polish. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a tutorial. I looked on another site and they had these tips, but I wasn't sure how I would accomplish this in Goldwave:

1. Use a High Pass Filter to Cut Everything Below 80Hz.
2. Cut 100-300 Hz to Add Clarity.
3. Cut 300-400 Hz if the Voice Sounds ‘Muddy’
4. A Wide Boost Between 2-6 kHz Can Improve Clarity.
5. Cut Around 3-5 kHz if the Voice Sounds too Sibilant.
Tristan

Re: Processing voice recording for podcast?

Post by Tristan »

You mean you've used Goldwave but have never used the spectral filter or parametric EQ? Just set the parameters according to your tips and listen to the results.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DougDbug

Re: Processing voice recording for podcast?

Post by DougDbug »

The low frequency cut is always a good idea for anything that's not specifically bass. With voice, anything in the low-frequency range is noise.

Otherwise, "Diagnosis before treatment" and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. so we can't tell you what your recording needs (if anything). There is no recipe or formula.

...I saw something on YouTube where some guy was showing how to "improve" a voice. It sounded good and natural before he started and when he was done it sounded "over processed". Perhaps the recording could have been improved but he made it worse!

You can also try some dynamic compression (compressor/expander effect). Compression will even-out the volume and it's generally used to get more volume or "intensity". Try the Reduce Loud Parts or Hard Limit preset, followed by Maximize Volume.

It almost never hurts to Maximize Volume as the last step. Maximize Volume works both ways... If the peaks are below 0dB the volume will be boosted and if the peaks are above 0dB the volume will be reduced (to prevent clipping when you save).

One trick the pros use is to use a known-good recording as a reference. (Usually that's done with music but in your case you could use a sample from a radio or TV announcer or news person.) The idea isn't to sound like the reference but to "keep your ears calibrated" so you don't mess-up or over-process the sound.
using a dynamic microphone
What microphone? Are you using an audio interface? Good stage/studio mics don't work with a regular soundcard. You can also get good quality with a studio-style USB mic (aka "podcast mic").