Find Corrupt WAV files

GoldWave general discussions and community help
TinPanFan

Find Corrupt WAV files

Post by TinPanFan »

This isn't really a Goldwave question (apologies, Chris) but an appeal to our forum experts for some direction.

When I retired in 2013 I built a home media server (Win 10 Home 64) with two RAID1 pairs, one 2TB for music, one 4TB for movies. It's all managed by Plex Media Server and I love it all - except when it misbehaves. After behaving nicely for a few years, recently Plex has started crashing randomly. There are log files, but they're not in any language I speak, so are not a lot of help in finding root causes. I've posted the log files on the Plex forum and asked for help, but no one has found my problem interesting enough to respond to yet.

Since storage space isn't an issue, all my 800 GB/28,000 music files are WAVs (movies are mostly MKV or MP4, but I'm interested first in the music files). I'm suspecting, although not sure, that the problem may be that when Plex scans my media files it finds some corruption that it can't handle. Just a guess, but a possibility so ... does anyone know of a good, reliable file scanner tool that will report corrupted files? If it also fixes them, fine, but finding them is the first step.

Appreciate any ideas you might have. Thanks.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Find Corrupt WAV files

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You could try Batch Processing files in GoldWave (doing a zero volume change). If GoldWave can't open and process them because they are corrupt, then it will log them in the progress list. Be sure to set up a different destination folder so that the original files are not changed.
TinPanFan

Re: Find Corrupt WAV files

Post by TinPanFan »

Good idea. Thanks, Chris.