Noise reduction

GoldWave general discussions and community help
stephen22

Noise reduction

Post by stephen22 »

What a brilliantly powerful function this is! I have been extracting the vocals from recordings made in 1965 using other commercial software, and adding my own backing. The results of the extraction are amazing, but not perfect, and I have been using the Goldwave Noise Reduction ("use shape") to remove odd remaining traces of bassoon, french horn etc. Astonishing results!

Could it be improved? A few suggestions - perhaps requests for the next update.

You can look at the spectrum for any point in the selection with the timeline slider. But auditioning plays only from the current position of the slider. Can't see how this could be useful, and would prefer to audition the whole selection, whatever the position of the slider.

It would be helpful if Goldwave could automatically store somewhere the editing "shape" at the moment of clicking OK. It's sometimes nice to go back and develop your shape further, having listened to your editing in the wider context. (And sometimes if you're stupid you forget to untick "output noise only"). You can of course do this with a preset, but it would be nice if were automatic. Could be stored with the other presets, and called e.g "previous shape".

How easy would it be to have the option to duplicate a simple shape at selected harmonics i.e frequency X2, X3 etc. Obviously you can do this by hand bt it would be nice to just press a button.
Tristan

Re: Noise reduction

Post by Tristan »

You should consider looking at something like Izotope RX if you want more advanced NR capabilities. I doubt the GW developer has the financial incentive, given the price of the program, to do any upgrade on the NR module. There are features I would like added to GW that I know the developer will never consider because he knows the vast majority of his target demographic wouldn't be interested.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
stephen22

Post by stephen22 »

Incidentally I've learnt a lot of wrinkles using this amazing feature, and if anybody is trying to do something similar, I'd be glad to share my experience with them.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Playback starts from the current time so that you can hear the results of noise reduction at that time. If you are working on a long file with varying noise, it becomes important to have a way of controlling the starting point for previewing.

Currently preset are the only way to store the shape. You can use Options | Window and check the "Update Default effect preset..." to automatically save settings, but that applies to all effects.

Duplicating a shape based on harmonics is an interesting idea. Or maybe a way of generating a shape from the current spectrum so that it can be edited.
stephen22

Post by stephen22 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Playback starts from the current time so that you can hear the results of noise reduction at that time. If you are working on a long file with varying noise, it becomes important to have a way of controlling the starting point for previewing.
Horses for courses. How about a second triangular button, different colour, audition from start? (not if it's a lot of hassle!)
GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Duplicating a shape based on harmonics is an interesting idea. Or maybe a way of generating a shape from the current spectrum so that it can be edited.
Harmonics not my original idea. And in fact of course the user could make his own set of harmonic presets.

Certainly saving the shape of the current spectrum as a preset would be useful.

I have used spectral editors that use the standard spectral display, and I find your method easier and more accurate. The ability to hear what's being removed before you remove it is enormously useful, especially if you want to distinguish between 2 prominent frequencies which are very close together. A terrific facility.