How to increase bass in a *.mp3?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mattad

How to increase bass in a *.mp3?

Post by mattad »

I have loaded a MP3 song whose bass part is very poor and puny.

is there a way how I can emphasize this part?

The volume of (only) the basses should be somehow increased.

Similarly I want to optimize another MP3.

Its difficult the express:
The song should become more clearer (for this song for the full range = not only the bass)
The music instruments should be more emphasized.

What can I do?
Tristan

Re: How to increase bass in a *.mp3?

Post by Tristan »

Google for articles on equalization and mastering. Then start practicing on your own files. Sorry, there's, otherwise, no short, simple way to answer your questions.

Goldwave has all of the tools you need for the job. Apparently, you just need to learn how to use them.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

The volume of (only) the basses should be somehow increased.
Effect -> Filter -> Equalizer. The low frequency (bass) sliders are on the left and the high-frequencies (treble) are on the right.
The song should become more clearer (for this song for the full range = not only the bass)
The music instruments should be more emphasized.
If you have a "bad recording" there's not a lot you can do, even if you have the latest pro software... :( There's a reason pros still record in soundproof studios with top-notch equipment and good microphone placement, etc.

You can't really isolate particular instruments.* You can boost different frequency bands with the Equalizer (the parametric equalizer gives you more precise control than the regular graphic equalizer) but most instruments and vocals cover most of the frequency range (often singing/playing the same notes) so there is a LOT of overlap. Boosting the highs will boost the "T" and "S" sounds and cymbals and that can help to bring-out "clarity".

-----------------------------------------------
NOTES:
- Anytime you boost anything you can push the peaks over 0dB which can result in clipping (distortion). So, it's a good idea to run Effect -> Volume -> Maximize Volume as the last step before saving. This will adjust the volume up or down to the 0dB "maximum". GoldWave itself can go over 0dB without clipping and MP3 can too. But some formats can't and your digital-to-analog converter is hard-limited to 0dB so if you go over you can get clipping when you play-back. The odds are, when you're done boosting the bass and re-adjusting the volume the MP3 won't be as loud as it was before.

- Equalization only boosts what's there. ...If there are no bass notes there's nothing to boost.

- MP3 is lossy compression and it gets decompressed when you open it for editing. If you re-save as MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compressionand "damage" does accumulate. You may not hear any quality loss (and hopefully you'll improve the sound by boosting the bass) but it's something you should be aware of. And if you go-back and edit again, go-back to the original MP3 to minimize the number of times it's compressed.

* Of course you CAN isolate the left & right channels and there are "tricks" for isolating or reducing "center channel" vocals, but it basically isolates (or removes) everything that's in the "center" (the same in both channels). But, these are mostly "novelty effects" and you rarely get good-professional sounding results.
mattad

Post by mattad »

Thank you.
This helps