Volume vacillates

GoldWave general discussions and community help
tvz

Volume vacillates

Post by tvz »

I just upgraded to GoldWave 6.52, running Windows 10. Now I find that my volume vacillates between normal and much softer. This happens while playing a sound in GoldWave, but also other times, like when playing a video from the Internet. Any ideas what I can do about this? Very annoying...
DougDbug

Re: Volume vacillates

Post by DougDbug »

You'll probably have to dig through the Windows settings. Start by right-clicking the Windows speaker/volume icon then Open Sound Settings and look for "advanced" settings for you soundcard/speakers and maybe some kind of "enhancements" that might alter the sound.

...I found something about enabling enhancements on my computer but nothing specific about what kind of "enhancement". Those things are a driver feature so you'll find different settings on different computers.

BTW - There are also microphone/recording "enhancements" that apply noise gating and automatic volume control. Those are for "communications" and they really can mess-up music or other high-quality recording.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

It does sound like a noise gate somewhere in the software chain.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
tvz

Post by tvz »

I don't find anything that I can ID as a possible problem. (See screenshot at link below). Maybe going back to the previous version of GW?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/soy8cizz37ko3 ... 6.png?dl=0
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

You didn't change your hardware setup as well, did you, when you upgraded GoldWave?
tvz

Post by tvz »

No, I really can't relate it to anything else. I noticed it a couple hours after installing the new GW. No hardware changes.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

So has installing an older version of GoldWave helped?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If the problem occurs even when GoldWave is not running, then it is not related to GoldWave. Actually GoldWave doesn't even change the system volume when it is running. Try restarting your computer, then see if the problem still occurs after a few hours (without running GoldWave).