Download problem

GoldWave general discussions and community help
will7370

Download problem

Post by will7370 »

I just bought a new desktop computer and am trying to download Goldwave v6.54. Because I live way out in the sticks, my only internet connection is through a cell phone hotspot. The download only gets to about 6mb and then fails. I've tried this over and over again. When I try to resume the download, it starts all over from the beginning, rather than pick up from where it left off. I'm about to pull my hair out. I can't find any mirror sites for alternate download that might allow me to resume. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
DougDbug

Re: Download problem

Post by DougDbug »

It's been awhile since I had that problem but you might try a download manager.

I sort-of thought that was built-into Windows now, but maybe my "big'" problems went-away when I upgraded from dial-up.

...I have the slowest DSL plan but it doesn't cut-off. And, I have Internet access at work for major Windows updates and that kind of thing. I had to bring my computers into work for that "20H2" update... The Microsoft website wouldn't even start the download. I was getting a message that said it would download "when I connected to Wi-Fi".... Even when I was on Wi-Fi (with a slow outside connection).
will7370

Post by will7370 »

The download manager was the golden ticket. Thank you! Even it had to make 3 or 4 attempts by going back to zero and starting over again. But we finally got it downloaded and we're good.

Thanks again,

Robert
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

We've increased the session time on the server, which should help as well.
roballen

Post by roballen »

Potential answer or solution for VPN users.

I've been having the problem described in the OP throughout 2021 and have tried numerous download managers and browsers, to no avail.

The download will begin at a high transfer speed, but then it slowly decelerates until it's just creeping along at a few KB per second. At this point, it's inevitable that it will hit the server timeout and leave me with around 8-10MB of the total file. As the server doesn't support resuming, it must start over. I've thus downloaded the first portions of both v6.53 and 6.54 almost a dozen times since early January, only occasionally returning to try again.

The solution was merely to turn off my VPN connection. I connect through a VPN full-time, but on a hunch I turned it off and the download completes normally. The delivery server apparently considers VPN IP's to be leechers and shuts them down, but oddly only after delivering about half of the file. This is very strange behavior as it actually costs GoldWave more bandwidth due to repeated downloads :| .

I apologize for repeating the download, but I did not understand what was happening. I don't see why VPN IP's would be adaptively blocked after the transfer begins, but perhaps an experienced web admin would know. If logged, perhaps GoldWave should check to see if a lot of downloads are being abandoned as this could be adding up to a substantial fee and inconvenience for potential customers.

It seems unfortunate that mirrors are all offering outdated versions :( .

NOTE: The first 3 times I tried to post this it said that I must log in to post to the forum, but I had logged in each time. For some reason, the 4th time was the charm and it allowed the post.
Last edited by roballen on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Thanks for posting a possible solution for those using a VPN. We had to change the way downloads work several months ago because we noticed a very large number of downloads from a small number of IP addresses (over 1TB per month). We now limit downloads to 100 per IP address and that has greatly reduced the monthly bandwidth, but does occasionally cause other issues due to the extra processing required.

We are considering requiring an email address and sending a limited use download link.
roballen

Post by roballen »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:24 am
We now limit downloads to 100 per IP address and that has greatly reduced the monthly bandwidth, but does occasionally cause other issues...
That would help explain it as VPN nodes could reach the limit, though it seems unlikely that most of those are genuine users. I don't understand why leechers want to use so much of your bandwidth, but I sympathize with anyone trying to operate a web server in 2021 :( . It kinda brings back the old saying, "this is why we can't have nice things."
We are considering requiring an email address and sending a limited use download link.
The would certainly help and I've seen other sites doing the same, but please assure trial users that you won't use their e-mail for any other purpose. Even then, some may refuse and this may cost you some small number of sales, but server admins are today in a challenging position between users, who rarely sympathize or even understand that content and software development and distribution costs money, and criminal hackers, who would happily justify killing people for money or for international warfare.

Thanks for the response and best of luck.
CrazyJohn

Post by CrazyJohn »

Unable to download. No download manager helps. Something is wrong on the download web-page where it times out way too soon.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Apparently our service provider changed some settings without telling us. Hopefully downloads won't timeout anymore, unless you have a slow connection.