"Drop-in" sound

GoldWave general discussions and community help
TinPanFan

"Drop-in" sound

Post by TinPanFan »

I don't know what the official term is for what I want to do, but here's an explanation:
  • I bring up a theme song as a .wav file. Say it's 3 mins long.

I record a voice message - say 45 seconds long - as a separate .wav file.

At some starting point in the theme, say 0:25 sec into the file, I want to mix the voice with the theme.

But - I want the theme to attenuate 15 db for the length of the voice-over, and:

In a perfect world, fade-out and fade-in the theme on each end of the voice-over.
I'm doing it all manually now and it's labor-intensive. Any hope this will become one more valuable feature of my favorite audio processor?

Hopeful in Alaska.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I'm not sure what you mean "manually".

I would use VOLUME->SHAPE to fade the music down and back. Then I'd use MIX to add the voice to the "main" theme track.

This shouldn't be too tricky because you dont need to fade the voice... Right?
TinPanFan

Post by TinPanFan »

That's more or less what I'm doing, and it's not tricky, it's just cumbersome if you have to do a lot of it.

What I mean by "manually" is that first I have to note precisely the length of the voice segment. Then I have to go to my starting point in the music file and select 45 secs, or whatever, attenuate 15db, do the fade-in, fade-out at the ends of the attenuated segment, THEN mix in the voice.

Some of the high-price apps do this automatically (I used to use Sound Forge). You just pick the starting point in the music file (with the voice segment on the clipboard), choose the drop-in mix option (don't remember what they called it), set the fade-out, fade-in, and target attenuation parameters in a dialog box, and Sound Forge does the rest. It's worlds easier than doing the four manual operations GW requires for the same result.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: "Drop-in" sound

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A voice-over plug-in is in the works for GoldWave. It will do all the fading and mixing automatically. A release date has not been determined yet.

Chris