Question about echo.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
EneMe

Question about echo.

Post by EneMe »

hello :)

when I use echo, there's only repeated sound, no "depth" of the sound...

how can I add depth to an acho effect???

PS: sorry but my english is bad... I hope you understand what I mean :) :oops:
DougDbug

I think you want REVERB.

Post by DougDbug »

I think you want REVERB. I don't have Goldwave on this computer (at work) and I don't remember if reverb is under edit, or effect... but Goldwave does have it.

Echo is a delayed clear repeat of the sound. (You do not get echo in a concert hall.) Although echos do sometimes occur in nature, echo is considered an un-natural special effect.

Reverb is the indistinct lingering of the sound after it stops. You do get reverb in a concert hall, and it is considered a natural effect. You will get reverb in an empty room with hard walls... maybe in your bathroom!

Sometimes reverb and echo together make a nice effect.

Oh, the real english word is reverberation. I guess people say reverberation when they are talking about real-live sound in a room. But artificial reverberation created by some device or software is always just called "reverb". :)
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Doug:

From the physic point of view, reverberation in a room is just a mild form of echo. Echo is not usually too pleasant, whereas reverberation is the naturally occuring "feeling of depth" one gets in a large concert hall, caused by the sound reflecting of various surfaces of the room and arriving at the listener's ears with slight time delays.

Without this, music sounds very "flat", and lifeless.

I like your explanation of the difference in the terms reverb and reverbation. Good.

PN
EneMe

Post by EneMe »

Thanx! :wink:

I'll try it at home! :)