Removing Music?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DJ Niko

Removing Music?

Post by DJ Niko »

I know you can remove the vocals from a song, but can I remove the music so I am only left with the vocals, and if I can't do it with Goldwave how can I do it?

Cheers.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

There is no way to keep the just the vocals and cancel out the music. You can use the bandpass filter can remove some of the music, but you might have to tinker around while using it. Hope this answers your question.

Sarge
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

While the person before me says it's not possible, i agree...with a but.

Adobe Audition (I'm an audio engineer of sorts, I use Goldwave for most of my mastering stuff and AA where i need stuff like ClickFix) has a filter called "Center Channel Extractor"...it basically applies an FFT phase analysis on any degree phase you want and will extract that phase. It does enable you to set it to 0degrees (center) and the result will be a stereo file. Since this does more advanced FFT analysys, the stereo image IS true...however there is some garbling.

If Audition is too expensive, there is a Winamp DSP plugin that will do that same thing. It's based off an audio filter Averey Lee did for Virtural Dub. I posted in the Developers section about possibly getting someone to port this into goldwave as a plugin of some sort (since the code is protected by the GNU)

the results aren't always perfect. going from MP3 or other lossy formats will REALLY result in warbling files, and cutting the center channel a lot of times cuts the bass of the file....but doing a lo-pass filter of 120hz and mixing that back in will generally restore most of the lost bass and not be affected by vocals, unless it's someone with a REAL bassy voice. the audition automatically will let you specify a lo-pass frequency.