Two MIC, two signals??

GoldWave general discussions and community help
iefyp

Two MIC, two signals??

Post by iefyp »

Hi all,

sorry for asking a similar question again.

I would like to use two microphones to record two different signals at the exactly same time to do my project. Do you guys kow how can I do that?

Thanks so much
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Two MIC, two signals??

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you have two mono microphones, use a stereo Y adapter to connect the microphones to the stereo microphone input on the computer. Record in stereo in GoldWave to have synchronized signals with each microphone recorded separately in the left and right channels.

If your sound card does not have a stereo microphone input, you'll need to get a microphone-to-line converter or preamp to connect both microphones to the stereo line input instead.

Chris
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I didn't know that some computers had stereo mic jacks!

Here's an example of a "Y" adapter. It has two 1/8" jacks (female sockets) and one stereo plug (male). If your microphones don't have 1/8" plugs, you'll need a different adapter, or more than one adapter. There are all kinds of "Y" adapters, so make sure that you get one that has two mono connections and one stereo connection.

Not all 'Y" adapters look like that. You can also find short 6" cable-style "Y" adapters. You might find a longer cable with two mono connectors on one end, and a stereo connector on the other. (I have something like that to connect my VCR audio to my computer.)

Microphone Mixers have built-in preamplifiers. Something like this, is the lowest cost way to get a mic preamp. If you get a mixer, you will probably need some adapters too. The connectors used in the "audio world" are usually different than the 1/8" connectors on your computer.

My apologies to those in more advanced countries... countries that use the metric system. :)
fabio

Post by fabio »

hello!

I have tryed to use the solution explain here, but it appears that my left and right channels are mixed together, is there an option to choose within goldwave?

fabio
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

Hello.

The only way to get stereo is the line input, so you will have to use a mixer, or a cassette deck with microphone inputs, on "RECORD/PAUSE" position to pre-amplify them.

To adapt two microphones with a Y adaptor can only give a monaural signal, except if your soundboard has indeed a stereo mic input, but I never heard about such a soundboard. Depending on the female jack of the soundboard you may have the microphones mixed together in phase opposition or only one microphone.

Blandine
Gloup? :-°
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Are you sure your computer has a stereo mic input?