Goldwave compared with other audio programms

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Emile1983

Goldwave compared with other audio programms

Post by Emile1983 »

Hello,
Can somebody describe the differences between Goldwave and several other audio programm’s (Wavelab, Cool Edit, etc.)? What are the positive points of Goldwave and what are the negative points (costs, professionality, suitability, etc.)?
I’m from Holland, so my English isn’t perfect. Hopefully you understand what I want to know.
Greetings from Emile
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Emile:

I haven't used any other wave editor. However after reading your post yesterday, I downloaded Audio Editor for a free trial (I think that was the namel). I found that too much of the screen is taken up by the control panel on the right side. Couldn't see how to change the colours of the waves. I like the "right is red", and "left is green" colours used by Goldwave.

Perhaps the biggest advantage to Goldwave is that there is no cost for updates to the program. Apparently once you purchase the license, it is good for life.

The other advantage is this forum where anyone can ask questions ranging from very simple to highly technical and get answers. Try that somewhere else!!

PN
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Emile,

GoldWave is the best!!!

This probably isn't the best place to ask that question. Most people here are satisfied GoldWave users, who have no reason to use higher-priced software.

I've been using GoldWave for a long time. It is a very refined program.... Few if any bugs, good user-interface, lots of features, and good documentation (but no printed manual). It doesn't "feel" like a cheap $50 program. Unless you really need some feature or effect that Goldwave doesn't have, Goldwave should be adequate. You won't find better support anywhere! If you email a question to GoldWave, you'll probably get a response from the CEO and Chief Programmer!

Cool Edit, is now called Adobe Audition. Before I bought Gold Wave, I tried-out trial versions of Cool Edit and Goldwave. Both were very similar at that time. The thing that sold me on GoldWave was the VALUE. At that time, the basic version of Cool Edit was only slightly more expensive than GoldWave. But, Cool Edit charged extra for plug-ins and upgrades. I really liked the fact that Goldwave was complete, and you didn't have to buy extras. Over the years, Cool Edit got more expensive, and I just keep downloading the free Goldwage upgrades. :)

There are more 3rd party plug-ins available for both WaveLab and Audition. I suspect that the effects for these other programs are "better" than GoldWave's effects. And, I believe both of these programs are multi-channel... Goldwave is only 2-channel stereo. You can download trial versions of all 3, and give them all a try.
Emile1983

Post by Emile1983 »

Thanks!!!