Huge Filesize?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
scotsbhoy

Huge Filesize?

Post by scotsbhoy »

Hi. Can anyone tell me why an OGG 2mb file is converted to a 74mb file when I want to convert to WAV using GoldWave?

Is it just a matter of me setting too high a quality? The sound is fantastic, but I nearly collapsed when I seen the size of the file to compensate for it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Hello, scotsbhoy, & welcome to the GW Forums.

OGG is a highly compressed format, like mp3...when you're converting an OGG to WAV, it decompresses the file & this is why the resulting file is so big.
Stiiv
scotsbhoy

Post by scotsbhoy »

Cheers mate. Is there any way I could reduce the filesize of the converted WAV without losing sound quality? Obviously 74mb is a tad too big for an audio file.

I'm looking at CD-quality if possible, but only if I can get the file to roughly the size it was as an OGG. If that's impossible, which it sounds as though it is, I'll just have to stick with the old format. Thanks for the help though :)
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

You're quite welcome. For a cd-quality wav, yeah, you're kinda stuck with a big file.
Stiiv
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Some information about compression:

Most audio compression is "lossy". (Video compression is lossy too.) This means that "data" is actually thrown-away during the compression/encoding process. You can't get the data back by converting it to a wave file. Any difference you hear between the OGG file and the converted-from-OGG file, must be due to a different decoder being used.

Usually, the encoding process is the most critical, because encoder must figure-out which data it can throw-away without loosing the "important" parts of the sound.. The decoder only has to re-construct the sound with the data it's given.

If you decode an MP3 or OGG file to wave (for editing, etc), and then re-code it back, it will be degraded further.... data is lost during each time you encode. It will also be degraded twice if you convert from MP3 to OGG, etc. If you must compress, you should try to compressonly once.

The only lossless audio compression formats that I know of are FLAC which is compatible with GoldWave, and LPAC. Of course with lossless compression, you don't get as much compression... your files are bigger than you get with MP3s or OGGs.

Note that the ZIP, ARC, TAR, etc compression formats are also lossless, but they apparently don't work very well for audio... I've heard of wave files that were "compressed" to zip files, and the zip file was bigger than the wave file! (I don't know if it's really true.)