feature requests

GoldWave general discussions and community help
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I just pulled it down. Works like a charm. Give it a shot.
Okay, I gave it a shot. All in all, I like it. I would recommend it to anyone who has a need or use for a de-esser.

It works. It is basically a specialized equalizer, I suppose it would be the same thing as a notch filter of sorts, right? Anyway, in reducing the sibilance it also reduces the volume of everything in that narrow frequency band by the same amount and it does slightly alter the sound - no big deal, I expected that.

Now, I gotta decide whether the convenience of automating the process of de-essing a track is better than doing it in a time consuming manual operation, one "ess" or "tee" sound at a time, or if the higher quality that is retained by not affecting the equalization of the entire track is better. Hmmm....I am kinda lazy, ya know.....

Since it was available in a package deal with some other plug-ins, I downloaded the set and have been playing around with them. They include a pretty good reverb unit for free as an incentive to take the package deal - and they also offer a bit of a discount. I find that the other plug-ins are pretty good and will probably get a fair amount of use from them as well.

Thanks to all who provided their input!
PeachGirl

Post by PeachGirl »

Chris,

I found maybe another thing you could quickly fix is under the "Change Volume" menu. When you click on the effect button it just says "Volume" (in the upper left corner effect window) and not "Change Volume". I noticed this today when I went to go alter the volume, and I thought I was in the wrong window. I had to do a double take.

Again, not a big deal, but maybe another quick possible addition to add the word "Change" the "Change Volume" menu. (Maybe the same could go for Match and Maximize (add the word "Volume"), but I at least think (Change) "Volume" should be cause I thought I was in a different menu when I clicked on "Change Volume"). But I really appreciate you fixing the "r". Thanks! :D
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

How about something in Windows Explorer where you right click on an audio file and it has "Edit In GoldWave" on the menu?
OKCBoy

Post by OKCBoy »

Vagabond wrote:How about something in Windows Explorer where you right click on an audio file and it has "Edit In GoldWave" on the menu?
You can already do something like that with the "Send To" feature. In the path \Documents and Settings\YourUserNameHere\Send To, just put a short cut to Goldwave.

When you right-click an object, you'll be able to choose Send To | Goldwave.
geminidj

Post by geminidj »

MY request would be that LAME is included in the GW installer. Just one less thing to sort out after my frequent refomatting
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The GoldWave manual includes steps for setting up a menu item in Windows Explorer (see section II.2.ii).

Due to patents, LAME cannot be included with GoldWave.

Chris
gwfish

Post by gwfish »

heres one i think some people might find usefull. I'm recording the audio from a vhs tape, and cant make every track 5 or 10 mins, and i'm not able to get a spliter. How about an unlimited or custom recording time. If you could get one in there that would be vary mutch apreciated!
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

gwfish wrote:...How about an unlimited or custom recording time. If you could get one in there that would be vary mutch apreciated!
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'll give it a go:

In GoldWave, press F11 (to bring up the control properties), and click on the "Record" tab. Next, click on the button that says "unbounded". This will allow you to keep recording even if it goes outside of the length you specified (even if you set your initial recording length for one second or one hour). If the length of your actual recording time is shorter than the length you had set it for, it will automatically cut off all of remaining time that is left unused.

Hope this answers your question/request.

Sarge
gwfish

Post by gwfish »

Sarge wrote:
gwfish wrote:...How about an unlimited or custom recording time. If you could get one in there that would be vary mutch apreciated!
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'll give it a go:

In GoldWave, press F11 (to bring up the control properties), and click on the "Record" tab. Next, click on the button that says "unbounded". This will allow you to keep recording even if it goes outside of the length you specified (even if you set your initial recording length for one second or one hour). If the length of your actual recording time is shorter than the length you had set it for, it will automatically cut off all of remaining time that is left unused.

Hope this answers your question/request.

Sarge
Thanks alot sarge, will do that :D
chris319

Post by chris319 »

My request: built-in support for FLAC.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

FLAC is supported in recent versions of GoldWave (in .flac files, but not in .ogg files).

Chris
waver

Post by waver »

I'd like to see VST support in GW ...... 8)

Bob
dda

SpinAudio VST-DX Wrapper

Post by dda »

waver wrote:I'd like to see VST support in GW ...... 8)

Bob
I've had great success with the SpinAudio VST-DX Wrapper. The free version works OK, but yesterday I purchased the "paid for" version. It works really well. ALl my VST effects are now DX Wrapped and I'm getting full function out of them with GoldWave.

DDA
dda

Effects - Current Playback Position

Post by dda »

I don't know how hard or easy this would be, but I notice NONE of the effects (GoldWave, DX, or DX wrapped VST) display the "Current Plaback Position" line on the underlying waveform, when they are previewing.

Would it be possible to add this? I notice that the "Status Visual" (time indicator) is rolling, so I assume the underlying GoldWave code does know where in the file we currently are previewing!!!

Thanks for considering this request.

dda

P.S. 5.12 seems rock-solid.
dda

CD Reader - Modal Windows?

Post by dda »

Let me start by saying I LOVE the CD Ripper part of GoldWave. It gives me EXACTLY the features I need with no extra "guff" to plough through. I PARTICULARLY like the way you handle the FreeDB access. Not all software even calculates the IDs correctly... but I love the way you can force GoldWave to contact the database again, even if it thinks it got it right.... Full Marks.

Now, on to the request.

When I set up the "CD Reader" window, and tell it to start processing, up pops the "Save CD Tracks" window. Now while "Save CD Tracks" is open, "CD Reader" is greyed-out and inaccessible. Could this be changed? (I think C++ programmers call them modal windows?).

Would it be possible to either:
1: Make "CD Reader" still accessible/scrollable (though maybe not editable).
2: Make the "CD Reader" window re-sizable.

Then reason behind this request is clear, I guess. When I am reading a 16 track CD, after I have started copying, I can still see the "CD Reader" window, but only 11 of the 16 tracks that I am processing.

Thanks for thinking about this,

DDA