feature requests

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

donrandall wrote:I would be willing to accept a lower case "r"
It's actually a capital "R" that you'd be willing to accept. :wink:

And did you check if there were any DirectX or WinAmp plugins (for GWAmp) that have a de-esser, or reduce silibance, which is basically what you're looking for (at least maybe for the time being, cause that sounds like a cool idea to have one).

I'm still awaiting Chris' answer though on the BPM meter, that sounded cool. But I understand you've (Chris) been busy here with the new update coming out soon.

Sarge
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There are no plans to add an option to remove the status bars. For now you can move and resize GoldWave's main window so that the status bars are behind the Windows Start bar.

"Save All" and "Close All" commands won't be in the next update, but if you try to close GoldWave it will ask if you want to save all modified files rather than asking to save each one separately.

As for the BPM counter, it didn't exists. It does now. I'll probably upload the plug-in soon (it is pretty basic, though). A sibilance (de-esser) filter would be a good addition to the GWVoice plug-in.

Private messages have been disabled for a number of reasons.

Chris
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

GoldWave Inc. wrote: A sibilance (de-esser) filter would be a good addition to the GWVoice plug-in.

Chris

Would that mean if it did come out, those of us who paid for the GWVoice plugin would have to pay for it again?

Sarge
PeachGirl

Customize keys...

Post by PeachGirl »

One more request I've had for quite some time was the option to customize the keys. Is there any way that could be done for a future release? If not, could you add a few shortcut keys for the crossfade, replace, and overwrite?

Also, I have just been going back and forth between 4.26 and 5.10 (because my laptop still runs on Windows 98 ) and wondered why 5.10 doesn't have the option to use the Windows clipboard instead of the GoldWave one (cause 4.26 does) . Why was that removed? I'm just curious about that one.
carmatic

Post by carmatic »

ok i have to process alot of vynl-recorded mp3's, and my major wishes are:

1. time-drift eq's, something thats a cross between the 'shape volume' function and the normal parametric eq
there are alot of recordings that i find where the higher end of the sound spectrum will fade away as the recording progresses (i guess its due to the recording device overheating or something), and currently i have to select every like 30 seconds or so of the song and manually apply eq to each section to compensate for the decreasing treble,most of the time it gives a good result and only a few bad recordings have the treble clipped so badly at the end of the track that its noticable, but only if you directly compare different parts of the song... if only this can be done automatically, with a couple of smooth curves (like one curve for every 'frequency band' that the user specified in the eq), as well as the ability to sample points along the track rapidly, so the user can tell if the sound is homogenous or not

2. visual pop/click removal, as in the ability to see which parts of the song have been altered by pop click removal, and how much... kind of like running the pop click removal, then inverting the result, and mixing with the original unprocessed audio, but if only this can be done more intuinitively
vynls are infamous for their analogue sound problems, and pop click removal as it is does a pretty fine job of taking care of these problems, but unfortunately it also catches some sounds that are genuinely part of the music, and this is where i need to know which of the removed sound is music, and which is noise... maybe pop click removal can open up a new window that shows only the sounds that it removed from the sample, and the user can select regions that pop click removal should ignore
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

And did you check if there were any DirectX or WinAmp plugins (for GWAmp) that have a de-esser, or reduce silibance, which is basically what you're looking for (at least maybe for the time being, cause that sounds like a cool idea to have one).
Sarge - I have looked around and have not found anything acceptable to me as a DirectX or stand alone. I don't know whether a DirectX plug in would automatically be recognized by Goldwave, or remain unusable because it would be lacking a compatible host.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

donrandall wrote:Sarge - I have looked around and have not found anything acceptable to me as a DirectX or stand alone.
I don't know exactly if this link is what you're looking for (although it is only a trial). If it isn't, I'm sure someone else could point you in the right direction.

Sarge
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Carmatic:

Please don't take this as a lecture, but with the high frequencies seeming to fade off with time, I'm going to be so bold as to suggest that there is something wrong that should be fixed before having to resort to a wave editing solution. I personally think that once the treble (high frequency) has been clipped, nothing will get it back - at least not to audio satisfaction.

I have a question - what is your method of transcribing from vinyl to digital in Goldwave? The output from a turntable needs a special transformer to boost it adequately (RIAA Phono Input). As I understand it, the output from a cartridge is non-linear and needs a non-linear boost - (could it be the high frequencies you are missing?)

The older stereo receivers that had a PHONO input, had this function built in. Alternately, a transformer can (I'm told) be purchased from Radio Shack quite cheaply. I have an older Yamaha receiver and it has PHONO ins.

On the second question, I wonder what kind of condition your vinyls are in? I've followed a few other forums on this topic, and the first recommendation is "always thoroughly clean and de-static the vinyls". This seems to be very important to avoid pops and clicks.

PN
Sarge

Re: Customize keys...

Post by Sarge »

PeachGirl wrote:... 5.10 doesn't have the option to use the Windows clipboard instead of the GoldWave one (cause 4.26 does) . Why was that removed? I'm just curious about that one.
PeachGirl,

The following is taken from here:

"The Windows clipboard is not used at all. An internal, virtual clipboard is used instead, making editing significantly faster and more stable."

I would assume the above reason is mainly why the option was removed. Maybe Chris could explain it a little better and further for you. Hope that helps.

Sarge
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Customize keys...

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Ideally upgrades for plug-ins would be free, but that has not been decided yet.

Customizing keys probably won't be added in the near future. Replace has the shortcut Ctrl+r (I mean Ctrl+R). For Overwrite and Crossfade, you can use the menu keys Alt+E W and Alt+E F.

The Windows clipboard does not handle large amounts of data very well. Copying large amounts of audio is slow and pasting it often causes Windows to freeze. By avoiding the Windows clipboard entirely, copying is instantaneous in GoldWave.

A dynamic EQ is planned as part of an advanced filtering plug-in, but there are no plans yet for a visual pop/click filter.

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Hey Sarge - -

Thanks for the help!

I just dashed off a note to db audioware, in reference to the de-esser they are peddling. I could not determine, from looking at the site you so kindly diretcted me to, whether or not the software is stand alone or requires a host.

I am not sure I am willing to trust someone else as much as I trust Goldwave, so I may just wait and see what Chris comes up with.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Okay, I got a reply from Dave Brown at db audioware regarding their de-esser. He was kind enough to answer my questions, but now, his answer brings up another question:

Since the db-audioware de-sser is a DirectX plug-in, will it work with Goldwave? Would it be a no sweat kind of thing or would it be incompatible?

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed and invited!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will paste the answers from Dave Brown at db audioware below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our de-esser is a Windows DirectX plug-in, not a standalone application. You need a DirectX compatible host to use it - for example, an audio editor such as Cool Edit, Wavelab, Sound Forge...

You can download a fully functional 21 day demo. The demo is identical to the real product, allowing you to fully test the software before parting with your cash :)

Best regards,
Dave Brown
www.db-audioware.com
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

If you try the demo with Goldwave, you will see if it's fully compatible in less than 21 days.
Gloup? :-°
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

If you try the demo with Goldwave, you will see if it's fully compatible in less than 21 days.
Yes, that is true. It is also true that, if it is not compatible and does not function, I will not be able to use it and evaluate it and determine whether or not it is what I need.

That is why I would like to know before downloading it.
OKCBoy

Post by OKCBoy »

donrandall wrote:if it is not compatible and does not function, I will not be able to use it and evaluate it and determine whether or not it is what I need.

That is why I would like to know before downloading it.
I just pulled it down. Works like a charm. Give it a shot.