Concatenate audio files

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mightypile

Concatenate audio files

Post by mightypile »

This request is probably so simple, it's below the radar for the manual, etc. I've looked through the manual and searched the forums, but haven't found anything.

I would very simply like to take a bunch of separate mp3 files and concatenate them. I know I can open them all and paste them into a single file, but that would take all sorts of time. Is there any way to get batch processing to simply merge a list of files?

I considered just doing a copy on my command line, but I want to make sure that I create a consistent file with consistent bitrates and encoding options (although I assume they're all the same already). I also don't know anything about the format of an mp3 file in regards to whether there's a single header for the file that needs preservation or modification in this scenario.

Could someone please let me know if I can do this in Goldwave? Or, if not, is there another simple and quick way to handle it?

Thanks,
Mike
OKCBoy

Re: Concatenate audio files

Post by OKCBoy »

mightypile wrote:I considered just doing a copy on my command line, but I want to make sure that I create a consistent file with consistent bitrates and encoding options (although I assume they're all the same already).
Doing an actual concatenation by copying the files together on the command line won't get the result you're looking for because of compression algorithms and headers.

You're right about opening all in Goldwave and copying to a single file: it will be manual and slow.

What may be marginally faster is to open a Multiquence project with a single track, bring each MP3 into the single track, then save as whatever file format you want. It may be faster because instead of cutting and pasting audio data, you're dragging whole files into an audio timeline.

Your problem does bring up a nice feature that could be added to Goldwave: the ability to read a playlist and open all into a new audio file of given format, sample rate, sample size, and silence time between playlist entries.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Concatenate audio files

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can use the Tool | File Merger command in a recent version of GoldWave to join many files together.

Chris