Multi-track recording - latency?

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
PeterM

Multi-track recording - latency?

Post by PeterM »

Will the following be feasible with MQ:

We have voice recordings. What we want to do is replace one of the stereo channels with a translation into another language, eg original English recording in the left channel, new German translation in the right channel.

(Some of the recordings might be video, but this will probably not affect the procedure...)

The person who speaks the translation should be able to hear the original recording in his headphones and record the translation via mic.

It should be possible in a simple way to re-record short sections, basically to correct mistakes, coughs, a dog barking. (We don't work in a studio, but a private home...)

Important question, how is latency addressed in MQ?

We have an older version of Magix Music Studio that has a programmable latency correction time, the software usually sets a perfect value. We have used that for recording music and several singing voice on individual tracks - everything was exactly in the beat. That was on a normal PC using an USB headset with mic, no ASIO drivers or anything sophisticated.

Well we could go with a newer version of Magix, but a new version would be quite a bit more expensive than MQ and I'm a big fan of Goldwave :P so if the above works I'd be happy to buy MQ.

Had a look at the (free) Kristal Multi-Track software, but that does not work for us because of latency issues.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Multi-track recording - latency?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Since you already have GoldWave, you could use that program to put together stereo files with different languages in each channel. You'd use the Edit | Channel menu to select a single channel and the Copy and Replace commands to replace one of the channels.

You'd have to do the translation recording in a new file, but you can play one file while recording in another in GoldWave (link) to synchronize things. You can insert or delete silence in one channel to align things after replacing the channel.

Chris
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Thank you for the reply.

I had read the FAQ section about recording and playing at the same time, so I knew about this option.

However, having worked with a multi-track recording software this seems to be rather a work-around than a feature.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There may be a bit of latency with Multiquence depending on the audio hardware being used. You'll need to experiment with playing one track and recording in another (by adding a recording section). Provided the same audio hardware is being used for both recording and playback, there should not be any difference in synchronization. If there is any delay, it can be adjusted latter by moving one of the sections slightly.

Chris
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Thanks for lookign after me... might give it a shot and do a bit of testing...