Greetings & "Newbie" question

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
JeffBTX

Greetings & "Newbie" question

Post by JeffBTX »

Hi All...

I was a registered GoldWave user some time ago (version 4.02). To try to make a long story short, I lost my (main) computer in an accident back in 2002... I was off the internet and without a computer (except for an old DOS antique that I resurrected) from 2002 until about 2 months ago. Basically, I have migrated from WinME to WinVista, "skipping" over WinXP. Still getting used to Vista...

Now I have a state of the art, fairly strong computer:
AMD 64 X2 5200+ 2.6 Ghz Processor, 4 Gb Ram, ~465Gb HD (RAID 1 actually, ~465Gb), NVideo 8800GTX based VidCard (just one- not SLI)... Integrated sound on the MoBo, but it seems to be high quality for integrated sound (SoundMAXX driver, ASUS M2N32SLI-Deluxe MoBo). WinVista Home Premium *64 bit*.

I stopped by this site yesterday, mainly out of curiosity- I seriously had doubts if my old GoldWave 4.02 (on CD) would run on Vista... but I made decisions, and I have downloaded Multiquence 255, GoldWave 520, purchased and recieved the license for MultiQuence, and requested the conversion of my old Goldwave user/password to the new ID system. I've also downloaded and archived the latest final LAME MP3 encoder (3.97). At this time, I am not interested in any plugins for GoldWave or MultiQuence (except for LAME). AT THIS TIME I have NOT installed either of the two programs or the LAME DLL.

Question 1:
One question that I SHOULD HAVE asked was are there any bad consequences because of my OS; *64* bit WinVista (Home Premium)? I didn't think of this until AFTER I purchased the MultiQuence license. For GoldWave, MultiQuence, and the LAME encoder? (I will send an email thru the LAME site though and ask...). Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Question 2 (not really a question - more an invitation to drop advice here):
What I will (mainly) be using these two for.... RayTracing Animation. I am into raytracing ( www.povray.org ). Simply put, I intend to produce a lot of still images from the RayTracer (.bmp, .tga, but probably .PNG) and string them into an animation. *Occasionally* I might want to play with adding audio. For all practical purposes, think of the way that cartoonists used to work...
I would probably create/process the soundtracks in GoldWave, and add them into MultiQuence for the animations. Mostly, these would be sound effects that have been created algorithmically, or recorded sounds that I have altered. Maybe occasionally even music and mixes.

MultiQuence/GoldWave almost seems like overkill, my use for these two programs would be a lot simpler than what most users use them for (though I might occasionally try edit a video that I find off the web... IE a "more conventional use" for MultiQuence)

In my old computer(s), I used to animate and view RayTracings with certain DOS programs (DTA/DFV to create and view .FLI, .FLC, FLH, FLT files...), later I used other programs to make AVIs and MPGs, and also used BINK and Smacker for a while. I tried Windows Movie Maker on this new computer, but it is terrible for this type of animation (the minimum time per still image in Windows Movie Maker is too large... cant get a decent frame rate).

Hopefully MultiQuence/GoldWave will work out just fine.

Does anyone do this type of video creation? Any pitfalls? What (in your opinion, and why) would be your favored video/audio formats?

- Thanks for any general advice....

- Jeff
JeffBTX

P.S.

Post by JeffBTX »

... oops... I should add that I also downloaded and archived bbMPEG, in anticipation of installing MultiQuence.

I have some concern about GoldWave/MultiQuence, and LAME and bbMPEG under *64* bit WinVista - I hope that it will all work.