Output Encoding Format question

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
SFCurley

Output Encoding Format question

Post by SFCurley »

I use MyDVD9 for DVD authoring. It can accept a variety of input formats, and then re-encodes prior to burning. That process can take about 80 minutes for full length DVD. When I first edit a project in Multisequence and then save it, I typically would save to AVI and use DivX encoder option under the save menu, but this, too, takes about 80 minutes for a full length DVD (using balanced quality).

Is there a faster output format than going to AVI? Perhaps one that doesn't re-encode the file, since MyDVD9 is going to re-encode anyway? If not a no-recode option, any suggestions for the fastest output format that's likely to be accepted by MyDVD9 as an input for authoring?

Thank you.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Output Encoding Format question

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Unfortunately Multiquence does not have a way of saving the video without re-encoding. Defragmenting your hard drive may speed things up slightly, but I suspect most of the time is in the encoding process. Only a faster processor will speed that up.

If you are creating DVDs for personal use, many DVD players support WMV and AVI DivX files directly, so you could try writing the AVI file (or WMV file) to a DVD as a data disc and see if the DVD player supports it.

Chris
SFCurley

Post by SFCurley »

Thanks for the response. Re: your response to this question and my other post about a new version, if it's possible, I'd love to see a no-re-encoding option added in the new release -- IF it's possible.

Thanks.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Slightly off topic:

Regarding Chris' mention of divx-compatible dvd players, it's worth noting that, in my experience anyway, they work amazingly well. I have 2 Toshiba divx-ready dvd players; one is an all-in-one tv/vcr/dvd device, the other is the ubiquitous SD-V295 dvd/vcr. Both handle divx/xvid files beautifully (if the files are encoded to Divx "Home Theater" standards), as well as VCD's (standard & non-standard), MPEG2 (even non-dvd format), & non-vcd-compliant MPEG1 files. I often archive videos of different formats onto cd's, & was pleasantly surprised to find that I can just throw an archive disk into the player & have it play everything without any problems at all.

Sure, it's easy to complain when things don't work, but I think it's important to note the positives as well.
Stiiv