MultiQuence vs Cubasis ?

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
joe.satriani

MultiQuence vs Cubasis ?

Post by joe.satriani »

Hi All,
I'm a amateur musician, and I'd like to find a tool to record multi-tracks songs. Initially, I used to use Cubasis, which is a complete "profesional" software. But it doesn't work anymore under Windows Vista, and I found it a little bit too complex for my personal using. So I wanted to find a simplier tool, and I discovered GoldWave MultiQuence on this site (I'm already a user of GoldWave). This tool seems to be very simple and user-friendly, but only 2 features miss (from my mind) :
- I don't know how to record a 2nd track in synchronisazion with the 1st one
- It doesn't seem to be possible to "balance" the tracks : a track can only be full right, full left or 50%/50%. It would be better if we could choose the distribution (27/73 for example).
Thank you in advance for your advices.
Regards
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

About balance only (I don't know how it works for synch tracks recording).
There is a panning shape (ctrl+p) in Multiquence, otherwise for a real balance you might do a modified track in Goldwave.
:D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: MultiQuence vs Cubasis ?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

To do a synchronized recording you'll need to use Recording Sections. You'd add a new track, create a recording section in that track (and set up the source using Section Options), then play the project. While the project plays, audio is recorded in the recording section, synchronized with what is being played. Be sure to set the recording section to play mode later so you do not record over the audio the next time the project is played.

Chris
joe.satriani

Post by joe.satriani »

Thank you very much Chris & Kummel, your advices seem to meet exactly my requirements ...
joe.satriani

About synchronised track recording ...

Post by joe.satriani »

Hi Chris (and all others) ...
I followed your advices about how to record a synchronised audio track in MultiQuence, but each time, there is a little "delay" inserted between the both tracks, and I don't understand why. Here is the procedure I use :
I opened a MultiQuence project mqp with an audio track.
Then I add a new track : Image
I open the Recorder ToolBox with the button : Image
If I press [Ctrl]+Image the recording starts while the track 1 is playing
I can stop my record by pressing "Stop" button :
Then I add my section to my new track with "Plus" button :
As you can notice, the 2 tracks are not exactly synchronised, even if recorded them the best I could. It is a little delay, but it is a shame to have to correct it manually. Is there any way to perfectly put the second track exactly at the position I recorded it ?
I really appreciate if someone could help me on this point. I hope I managed to make me understand ...
Thank you in advance.
Regards
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: About synchronised track recording ...

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I noticed that the edit marker wasn't at time 00:00. When you added the new recording, it was added at the edit marker's position, which was at 0.855. That would cause a delay. Make sure the edit marker is at time 0 before adding the new recording. Also you can drag-and-drop the new section after adding it to align it.

Chris
joe.satriani

I don't manage to erase this micro delay ...

Post by joe.satriani »

Hi Chris and thank you for your quick answer.
Even if I make the recording start at the marker 0 :
and you can believe me that I record my 2nd track exactly synchronised with the first one, but there is a remaining little delay (less than 1 second: 00:00:06.174-00:00:06.090 ==> 84/1000 second) :
Image Image
You can notice it by listening to my result audio file :
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/paitreault/mix.wav
I agree that it is very light, but even a 100/1000 second delay is not acceptable in a multi-tracks song.
What is your advices ?
Thanks
Regards
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: I don't manage to erase this micro delay ...

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Getting two separate devices to begin at exactly the same time isn't always possible, depending on the hardware in the computer. The only solution is to manually align the two sections after recording.

Chris
joe.satriani

Post by joe.satriani »

Ok, thank you Chris for your help. For information, I use the same device to play and record tracks with multiquence.
Many thanks