Goldwave for Linux?

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

jengelh wrote:Converting it to Linux would ultimatively require to get rid of MFC (or similar Win32 kits) and instead use "native crossplatform" gui set; it's not a big deal.
Greetings and welcome.

I don't know the details myself but when I first brought it up Chris said the equivalent of c++ would be needed to write the code. GW is not open source (free) but neither was Audiograbber up until lately. Then the author put it out to the public. I have bought both of these programs and I feel I got good value. But I'd also like to move to the Linux platform.
jengelh

Post by jengelh »

loninappleton wrote:I don't know the details myself but when I first brought it up Chris said the equivalent of c++ would be needed to write the code.
It is not C++? That'd surprise me. But anyway, porting it requires a rewrite of the UI base anyway, so it's the same effort in either case.
deancicca

Post by deancicca »

Hi All,

If I may add my 2 cents as well as a question.

I've been recently trying out new linux programs. With Xandros right now. Very happy with it, I barely switch over to my windoze program at all. The problem is lack of available software for it. Thinking of trying the new mandriva le 2005 10.2, has anyone used this?

I noticed many of you stated different linux programs, which one is the simplest to use and would work with xandros? I'm not a real computer savvy person and directions have to be in plain easy to understand english. (I'm getting better though).

Goldwave could come out with a linux program and still not make if free, look at crossover, win4lin and vmware.

BTW just my opionion but I've tried wine, crossover and win4lin. Wine and crossover suck! Win4lin is good but no USB support, that's a problem. Does goldwave work with win4lin?
jengelh

Post by jengelh »

Well, I also once thought that keeping my apps closed was better to keep them from mutating (having others modify and not merge it back into the mainline), but it came different: I was asked to integrate features and/or diffs, and it was also accepted that I refused to put in some things. It did not make a fork, and honestly, there are (I'm guessing here, but anyway)
- more non-forked projects
- main-branch projects are used more than forks

On that topic, the model could be changed to what Linux enterprises do successfully: have the apps open and make the support non-free.
pr1268

GoldWave in Linux

Post by pr1268 »

GoldWave version 4.26 works great in Wine 0.9.x in Slackware (10.0, 10.1, and 10.2). I compile Wine from source code, then install GoldWave 4.26 into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/goldwave/.

Although I have a 4.x and 5.x license, I haven't tried 5.x in Linux/Wine, but even in Windows I was perfectly happy with 4.26.

BTW Recording works fine. I have an Intel D865GBF Motherboard with on-board Intel AC'97 sound card (plug-n-play in Linux kernel 2.6 with ALSA support enabled in-kernel or module). Extremely stable, reliable, and the music sounds wonderful.

1280x1024 screenshot below:
http://www.cs.txstate.edu/~patrick/imag ... 5-1842.png
jengelh

Post by jengelh »

A native version would be much nicer.
AndrewTheArt

Post by AndrewTheArt »

I'd pay ADDITIONAL money on top of current Windows license to get a stable, fully featured version of GoldWave for Linux. *hint hint*

Sorry to revive a very old topic, but I want the dev team to be able to gauge the interest for such a port to alternative OS's.
~Andrew
mh

Post by mh »

It really depends on how much OS-specific code is in GW. Chris could spend a lot of time porting that code to other platforms with the net result that no advancements in functionality are accomplished for a long time, and other audio editors have an opportunity to catch up and possibly even overtake GW.

There's also factors such as having to make compromises in functionality and/or performance for the sake of portability to take into account.

Altogether, that would not be good. It might even create a real risk of killing off GoldWave altogether.
AndrewTheArt

Post by AndrewTheArt »

Well, no offense to Chris, but the last few updates haven't included the addition of new features. Mostly, big fixes and small enhancements to previous features has been the trend.

That is why it is high time to port it.
~Andrew
billstei

Post by billstei »

I have been using Goldwave 5.x (right now 5.19) under Wine in Ubuntu (Feisty). It runs for the most part, but there are a few things that crash. Goldwave 5.x did not work at all until about Wine 0.9.31-ish or so (for me anyway). I am currently using 0.9.37. To make this even more interesting I am doing it in the AMD64 version of Ubuntu, and technically there is no 64 bit Wine, but there is a setup that can be done to allow the 32 bit Wine to work. One of the big issues with Wine is that (ALSA) sound is not handled very well and I often get hiccups and crackling on playback. This is a problem that the Wine devs have been aware of for some time, and (hopefully) work will be done this summer to improve this. I would recommend setting the winecfg sound driver to Emulation, and setting the GW Playback prebuffer latency to 2.00, for best results. but YMMV.

I have tried various other Linux audio editors and Goldwave is still my fav -- it is far-superior and well worth the money.

Bill
billstei

Post by billstei »

Update: Now in Wine 0.9.40 and hiccuping issues have been improved greatly.
mh

Post by mh »

AndrewTheArt wrote:Well, no offense to Chris, but the last few updates haven't included the addition of new features. Mostly, big fixes and small enhancements to previous features has been the trend.

That is why it is high time to port it.
Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't.

I just did a brief mental exercise in what a port would involve, and it boils down to:

1. Learning the whole Linux GUI API (for which ever window manager Chris decides to support).
2. Rewriting the entire GUI.
3. Removing any GUI functionality that may not be supported under Linux.
4. Learning an entire new sound hardware interface API.
5. Rewriting the entire sound hardware interface.
6. Removing any sound hardware interface functionality that may not be supported under Linux.
7. Throwing out the whole plug-in architecture (which I understand most of GWs internal functionality is based on) and reworking it from scratch.
8. Dealing with the myriad of bugs that such a comprehensive rewrite of the entire program would inevitably throw up.
9. Stalling all current and projected development on the Windows version while this is going on.
10. Having to maintain two separate codebases in the future.

Now, this is based on about half a minute of thinking about what would be involved, so no doubt there's quite a bit I've missed here.

Net result is that GW would end up becoming a vastly inferior program, just to get it supported on Linux for a minority who prefer a native version over running it under WINE.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can add file handling to the list as well (things like \ vs. /, drive letters, etc.). Number 7 is not really a problem. The plug-in architecture is designed to be portable and does not include "windows.h" at all. Apparently that confuses a lot of Windows developers, which may be why so few third party plug-ins have been created so far.

Had Borland/Code Gear kept their promise of providing Linux development tools with a truly portable Visual Component Library things might be different today. As good as Qt has become, it is still not as easy to use as VCL.

The way things are going, it seems like virtualization and emulation will solve the problem in the long run. The operating system is slowly becoming irrelavant.

Chris
Skezza

Post by Skezza »

loninappleton wrote:
alexsergeyev wrote:Does anyone one here have experience with WINE? The one thing I know for sure is that it runs on Intel architecture only. Plus I think you have to install your Windows system disk on a partition.
Yes and wrong. I am running an AMD and WINE works perfectly well on my Linux installation and I have sucessfully run GoldWave under WINE. My only problem is that I fitted a secondary sound card (Because lets face, onboard sound... no thanks) and WINE often switches to the onboard sound. However if i go into winecfg I can change it, usually to ALSA (although you will experience a few crackles) or OSS (works better). My GoldWave runs well under WINE as do many other applications, I also purchased Crossover, although I don't think that actually improves anything in my honest opinion.
AndrewTheArt

Post by AndrewTheArt »

mh, all of that would be necessary for a native version of GoldWave for Linux, yes. However, Chris could tweak the code and make it fully compatible for Wine fairly easily. It would appear as if 60% or more of the functions already work without modification in the latest version of Wine, and the other 40% could probably be easily implemented by a simple tweak.

Code: Select all

Error reading Hdog->BorderStyle ... in module user32.dll
is the one error that keeps you from using a lot of the functions in GoldWave. It comes up whenever you are opening a mini-dialog (for example, batch processing and Time Warp) If that was fixed, we'd probably have a version of GoldWave for Linux with 98% of the features fully implemented (only thing that would need fixing is the CD reader).

More or less what I'm insinuating here is that Wine could do the heavy work and Chris could just make a few tweaks, possibly.
~Andrew