Devoloping tips for next version

Discussions for GoldWave plug-in development
47_killers

Devoloping tips for next version

Post by 47_killers »

Why not put a encoder for ac3 2ch or 5.1 dont your choice and why dont you support 5.1 wave.
It would be also very fun when you could put 6 channel support to save it. :lol:
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Devoloping tips for next version

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There are no plans to add multichannel support in GoldWave for now.
Many multichannel sound formats are patented, making them impractical to include in GoldWave.

Chris
DougDbug

I Want My 5.1 Surround!

Post by DougDbug »

:D I Want My 5.1 Surround! :D
...no plans to add multichannel support in GoldWave...
Chris,

OK, no encoder/decoder. But, how about 6-chanel wave support?

I assume that adding 6 channel wave support would not involve any patent/licensing issues... Right?

With 5.1 AC-3 encoders suddenly becoming economical*, I'm probably going to want a good 5.1 (wave) editor sometime in the near future. I'd really hate to "leave Goldwave behind" after all these happy years. :(

I've been playing around with video editing for a few months. Whenever I need to edit/process the audio portion, I'll work with PCM (wave) files... using Goldwave, of course!!! I'll let my DVD authoring software perform the AC-3 (currently 2-channel) encoding.

*Exerpt from Dolby press release:
...Studio Plus as a standalone software product with Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, a two-channel encoder, for a suggested retail price of $99. It is currently available at all major retailers. Studio Plus users may upgrade online to Dolby Digital 5.1 Creator for $9...
Doug.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: I Want My 5.1 Surround!

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There are no plans to add support for more than 2 channels (in v5 at least). GoldWave will remain a stereo editor for now.

Chris
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

i would love to have the ability to create and record in 5.1. i like to create musical/sound effect tracks and having the space of a full room with 5 channels to mix to and manipulate would be stellar..

whan can i expect this from Goldwave?

also, until then, is there any tricks to simulate this?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

As I've mentioned, GoldWave v5 will remain a stereo editor. As for v6, nothing is set in stone, but that version is many years away.

Chris
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

I think everyone has gotten the message that GW is going to remain a stereo software..

with that being said, the customers are all asking for multichannel...so why isnt GW planning on hearing their customers and adding this?
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Not all the customers are asking for 5.1. A lot of us use Goldwave to record our music to put onto cd's.

I would suspect that 5.1 users are a a minority (although vocal) so far, so the term "all" is not quite accurate.

Piano Nick
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

Nick,

If you want to split hairs, we could go do some legwork and come up with specific percentages..but i dont think that is really the point. If it was, what would the percentage have to be to get the powers that be to take notice and make a move?

If it was one or two people, your underlying point would be valid, but there may also be many, many potential GW users who DONT use GW at all because of the lack of this technology..it's not as if 5.1 doesnt exist prominently in the world these days...

Im not here to argue or boil blood, so dont get the wrong idea..
im just a customer who would like to see some additional technology in an already great product and noticed that there is 'alot' of GW users, and non-users, who feel the same.
in most cases, when customers are asking for something, the provider at least allows for the possibility of looking into the requests. My point is that GW, at least on here, seems to discount even that and im curious as to why?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Multichannel recording/playback is supported on a relatively small number of computers. Very few GoldWave users (probably less than 1%) are interested in multichannel support right now and some do not want the program made more complicated by adding support.

Having said that, it is very likely that GoldWave will support multichannel files in a major upgrade in the future when multichannel hardware is more widespread, but it is not planned for the near future.

Chris
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Q. E. D.
jengelh

Post by jengelh »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Multichannel recording/playback is supported on a relatively small number of computers.
"Cheap computers" offered by ALDI/LIDL/etc. (German discounters, sorta like Walmart) always include at least 5.1 nowadays, sometimes even up to 7.1. Playback guaranteed, for record I suppose it is still stereo only since there is no more space for additional jacks (who needs dual microphone, anyway?)