WAV to OGG Conversion

GoldWave general discussions and community help
sonicwmat

WAV to OGG Conversion

Post by sonicwmat »

I have v5.23. I open a wav file but when I go to save as...I can choose FLAC, MP3, etc., but not .OGG....seems the vorbis dll's are in the Goldwave directory...not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong.

Matt
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

NOTE - I've never actually used OGG.

Try upgrading to Version 5.25. OGG seems to now be automatically included in the installtion.

And if you just want to convert between different formats (without editing), XRECODE (FREE!!!) is very handy.
sonicwmat

Post by sonicwmat »

I sent an email to GW support and Chris replied and indicated that perhaps my computer cannot utilize the vorbis dll. I can see the dll is present in the GW directory - but alas the ogg option is not selectable in GW. Chris suggested trying an older vorbis dll - but I'm unsure of which to use from rareware.com. I do have a rather older computer (1.2ghz AMD Athlon)....I could be wrong, but perhaps ogg dll's only work with Athlon64/Intel P4 and above???
sonicwmat

Post by sonicwmat »

I upgraded to v5.24 and same thing no ogg conversion....does seem CPU related as Chris suggested?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Chris is the expert!
I do have a rather older computer (1.2ghz AMD Athlon)
:lol: That's not old! ....At work, I have a GoldWave nstalled on a 200MHz Pentium running Windows 98!* It was running 5.23, and I just upgraded it to 5.25. It has the same problem as you're having... It doesn't show OGG as a "save-as" option either (with either version of GoldWave).

However, when I installed on a ~2GHz AMD "Simpron" system running Windows 2000, I do see the OGG option.

* It's not supposed to run on Win98. I've never run across any problems with it, but I don't use that computer for GoldWave that much. (I'm not using it for my job... just occasionally fooling around in my "spare time".)
sonicwmat

WAV to OGG Conversion on older CPU's

Post by sonicwmat »

Fascinating...Chris' suggestion worked!. I simply downloaded and installed v5.08, snagged the oggfile.pig from that installation and put it in the directory for my v5.23, deleted v5.08, and viola'...oggriffic!!

Now, I could be late coming to the party, but I haven't done much audio compression codec comparisons, but I am rather shocked that, even with the newest lame dll, 320kbs MP3 is simply not as good as 320kbs Ogg....I'm kind of shocked...same size files, better audio quality...sup with that? Have I missed the memo?

Matt
hollingw

No problems with OGGs.....

Post by hollingw »

Hello:
I have 5.25 and just save both a wav file and an mp3 as Vorbis OGG.

Maybe you are missing all or part of the CODEC. Try getting the CODEC from Vorbis and try again.

Hope it works for you....

RH
The Great Watbol!

Post by The Great Watbol! »

DougDbug wrote:Chris is the expert!
I do have a rather older computer (1.2ghz AMD Athlon)
:lol: That's not old! ....At work, I have a GoldWave nstalled on a 200MHz Pentium running Windows 98!* It was running 5.23, and I just upgraded it to 5.25. It has the same problem as you're having... It doesn't show OGG as a "save-as" option either (with either version of GoldWave).

However, when I installed on a ~2GHz AMD "Simpron" system running Windows 2000, I do see the OGG option.

* It's not supposed to run on Win98. I've never run across any problems with it, but I don't use that computer for GoldWave that much. (I'm not using it for my job... just occasionally fooling around in my "spare time".)
I have it installed on a P3=1000Mhz... I see the .OGG, it's right under the FLAC option (the very last item in the lsit)
But, I use Win-XP.SP2.
I also have it installed on a P-II -300Mhz with Win-ME... I see .OGG and .WMA under the FLAC option. The WMA is not available in the XP one, for some reason. That machine don't even open .WMA's for me.
:shock:
------------------------------
¿¿¿-:·}~ «-{Watbol}-» ©2000® ☆*★*☆
(•¿•)
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Ogg is a funny creature.

I won't swear to it, but I believe it's got to do with the version of ogg dll you've got. There's a standard version and tuned/enhanced versions and sometimes Goldwave wants to work with one, but not the other.

Vista and Win7 on my laptop have Ogg and they're 5.25. If one tries REALLY hard they can get the stuff running on winfw 3.11....but like anyone uses that anymore (I was bored and playing around on a virtual machine. Did you know the ISO for 3.1 is only 11 megs?)

Codecs...they're a great idea till they start conflicting and leaving you confused.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: WAV to OGG Conversion on older CPU's

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Recent versions of GoldWave use an accelerated version of the libvobis.dll file, which may not be compatible with all processors (especially older ones). The OggFile.pig plug-in checks to make sure the processor is compatible. It disables the plug-in if it isn't.

Older versions of GoldWave included a non-accelerated version, which works on any processor but is much slower.

Chris
The Great Watbol!

Post by The Great Watbol! »

How recent are we talking¿? (v5.25)
Is that the old non accellerated version, or the new accellerated version¿?
I have an OLD processor, pIII-1000 and things seem to work for me.
------------------------------
¿¿¿-:·}~ «-{Watbol}-» ©2000® ☆*★*☆
(•¿•)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I believe it was changed to an accelerated DLL in v5.13.

Chris