Bit of a problem.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Nunya Business

Bit of a problem.

Post by Nunya Business »

I've been trying to figure out how to cut out a piece of a audio clip, but I have no idea how to do it. If anyone could help me out then I would really appreciate it.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

It's kind-of like a word processor... You select/highlight a section. Then, you can hit the Del key on your keyboard, click the Del button on the GoldWave toolbar, or click Edit -> Delete.

But, unlike a word processor, when you open the audio file the whole file is selected. You can set the start marker (the beginning of your selection) with a left-click, and you can set the end marker with a right-click. You can also drag the markers.

You may need to zoom-in to make your selection. And, for "hard" cuts & Splices, you'll usually get better results if you select Edit -> Marker -> Set To Zero Crossing ->.

I strongly advise that you read through the help file, especially the Editing Overview. If you're new to audio editing, you may not understand all of the terminology, but it will make learning to use the program easier.

If you need more help, please tell us a little more about what you are doing... It's easy to chop-out a section, but depending on what you are working with, sometimes it can be tricky to make a "smooth" edit.
Nunya Business

Post by Nunya Business »

What I'm trying to do is cut out a certain part of the background noise in an audio clip. I could upload a couple of audio clips and give you an example of what I want to do. I'm not sure if I worded it correctly before. I'm actually very new to this.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Do you want to remove the background and keep the foreground or just entirely remove the section of audio.

If you want to remove and entire section, you just highlight the section and hit delete. Removing audio from from audio is more difficult.

Samples can be sent to me at either the email listed in my signature..or gwsamples@jay.is-lost.org - describe what you want and I can tell you how to do it.
Nunya Business

Post by Nunya Business »

sent you an email with the samples. Awaiting your response.
The Great Watbol!

Post by The Great Watbol! »

Dew dude, I don't care what anyone say's about you...
You are THE MAN with audio!¡!
------------------------------
¿¿¿-:·}~ «-{Watbol}-» ©2000® ☆*★*☆
(•¿•)
Nunya Business

Post by Nunya Business »

ok, I'm not sure if DewDude420 got my email. I'll just explain it here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/219909442/V ... 243787.wav

I want to take out the whistle in that clip, but keep everything else. Like the crowd noise, the commentary, everything, but the whistle.

They manage to do it in this audio clip.

http://rapidshare.com/files/219909441/V ... 100198.wav

They manage to take out the whistle in that clip. So I'm pretty sure it can be done.

I need to know how to do this otherwise I can't finish my video. I'm not sure how else I can explain it. If anyone can help me then that would be greatly appreciated. Even if I can't take out the whistle, I want to know can I cover it up so it can't be heard?

Also. Would anyone know any tutorials on how to do these audio effects?

http://rapidshare.com/files/219909440/V ... 005160.wav

I just want to know how to do the effects with the crowd, because that would go good with my video and make it sound better.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I don't think the whistling noise was removed from the second file. I believe the noise was added to the first file (along with extra crowd noise).

Both files started with the same commentary file. In one file they added music. In the other they added extra crowd noise and the whistling. There is no easy way to remove a noise after it has been mixed.

You can use fades or the Volume Shape effect to fade the crowd noise in and out. You'd also need to copy and paste together certain crowd noises.

Chris
Nunya Business

Post by Nunya Business »

If it wasn't removed then how come it can't be heard in the other audio clip? I'm pretty new at this, so I don't quite know what they've done. Is there a way to get rid of the whistle noise, but keep everything else normal?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

As Chris said (and I never heard the second file), but it's possible it was mixed in afterwards or the second file is a different set of mics.

The others sound like they were either recorded like that...or mixed well. Sometimes things happen you can't explain.

As I emailed you (I thought I had, did it not go through?) you can try notching it out, but you're going to have artifacts resulting.

This is not perfect. Perfect results are generally the result of something else entirely....we don'tknow how much production that audio went through.
Nunya Business

Post by Nunya Business »

Is there any way I can cover it up? Like with the crowd noise.

All I do know is that they have mics set up for different things in the matches. They have several on the field for the crowd noise and all that. They have a few for the referees and they have a couple for the commentary. I'm able to remove the voice from the commentary. So maybe that shows the whistle can be removed aswell? I'm not sure.

From what you two are saying, it's not impossible to remove the whistle, it's just extremely difficult. Is that right?

The first bit of audio was also from a live feed. The other audio sample, the one with the music. That was from a pre-game video, so that could've been done about a week after the game. They always make them and put them on before the next game.