OverWrite oddity (menu Edit | Overwrite)

GoldWave general discussions and community help
blindcrazy

OverWrite oddity (menu Edit | Overwrite)

Post by blindcrazy »

Hi,

I am blind and i am working my way through all the commands learning their functions and effects!

I came to the Overwrite Edit command and after several different places (moving the Start marker) i then tried with the Start marker at the End of the file. The overwrite command seem to work as the markers shows the new selected region but i noticed that the Total Length of the sound file didn't increase!! I had a 10 second clip in my clipbord and the original Total Length was 46mins and after the overwrite operation, this still showed 46mins but my Finished Marker now says 45:10.0000 ! Beyond the File into never never land!!

Is this correct? or is there someting strange happening on my PC only?

Thanks !

Shaun
DougDbug

Re: OverWrite oddity (menu Edit | Overwrite)

Post by DougDbug »

You are right! I don't see the displayed "Length" value change. But when I overwrite at the end, the file does get bigger. If I scroll to the right or if I zoom-out I can see it the waveform, and I can play it. The same thing happens if I overwrite near the end with something that wouldn't otherwise fit.

So, I think everything's working except for the little window that shows the length.

The "Length" does change if I "Paste" or "Mix" at the end of the file.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It's interesting how a small problem like that can go unnoticed or unreported for many years. Internally the size is correct, just the status bar text isn't updated. If you Undo/Redo, then it is updated. The next release will fix it.

Chris
Moonmist

Post by Moonmist »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:It's interesting how a small problem like that can go unnoticed or unreported for many years.
Chris, GoldWave have tons of small little problems that I'm shocked no one has mentioned yet... that being said, I didn't feel like reporting them because I felt like maybe everyone didn't care that much and I would look like the only one who is bothered by it so thus you might not care to even address the issue for just one person, and I didn't want to look like an idiot so therefore I didn't say anything, but there are quite a few small problems that I've noticed that I can report to you if you'd like me to.

One right off the top of my head is with 5.57 when you choose an overlap size of 16 in certain effects that uses the FFT and you have the options in GoldWave set to update the "Default" preset after applying an effect, when you go back into the effect the overlap is set back at 8 and not saved at 16.

Another with 5.57 is when using the dynamic mode in the bandpass/stop filter the default preset isn't updated same idea as the FFT overlap problem.

Those 2 bugs are new to 5.57 (5.56 and previous didn't have that problem). There's also tons of bugs that have been around forever but like I said, I didn't want to report something because I didn't think you'd care that much. I notice everything, hardly anything gets past me, except for bugs relating to features I don't use (like CD ripping for example).

So if you'd like to know what some of the bugs are let me know and I'll try to reproduce some of them again so I can tell you, and also let you know when I encounter new ones or old ones I may have forgotten about. (I guess I should create a new thread for my bug reports, and just post any bugs I find in that thread? Don't know which forum, I guess support? Lemme know)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you manually select the "Default" preset again, do the settings look correct?

Chris
Moonmist

Post by Moonmist »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:If you manually select the "Default" preset again, do the settings look correct?

Chris
Nope! I tried doing Noise Reduction at "16x" overlap, hit ok, went back in to noise reduction effect window and it said "8x", so I clicked on the preset list and chose "Default" and it still said "8x" for overlap.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The problems above have been fixed for the next update.

Chris