Goldwave 5.60 Beta Thread

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DewDude420

Goldwave 5.60 Beta Thread

Post by DewDude420 »

Hey all,

As you may or may not know Chris released a beta version of 5.60 for us to try and play with, and like any Beta test he benefits and wants our feedback in finding problems. I've created this thread in an attempt to maybe keep all the 5.60 discussion in one place rather than having an additional number of indvidual threads.

If making a report of either success or a bug, please inform us of your computers specifications as you can remember them, but at the very least we'll need to know which operating system you're using as 5.6 has features specific to Win7.

I admit to not having the chance to put it through its paces..but I did play with a couple of new features. I'll likely make additional reports in the next few days and will follow up on trying to reproduce bugs you guys come up with so we can build a better picture of where problems might lie.

Exact specs of my laptop can be found by looking up the Asus G72GX-RBBX05 laptop...but 2.5ghz C2D with 6gb of ram with realtek sound and win7 x64 home premium.

The first obvious change is the move away from directsound and towards the native sound system built in to windows 7. Naturally..I played with this first. GW automagically set itself to use the windows7 sound...clicking info gave me a nice rundown of my sound hardware and hitting config brought up the sound properties window for configuration of default devices. Beautiful. Sound playback gave me 0 issues and while I did not try to physically record sound, the control window was set to monitor the internal microphone and I could see response in spectrograph and other windows and years of use indicate to me goldwave is getting sound from the system. So that seems to be working. I haven't yet tried it fwith virtual sound card or my usb sound, that will occur tonight.

The other feature I played with (because I think everyone knows I love this effect) is the new Stereo Center effect. For those that don't know, this is a new advanced vocal removal that is able to maintain true stereo for center extraction and is able to isolate the center. It seems similar to centercutdsp for winamp which I used in a tutorial (I guess when I revamp the siill have to change it up).

Chris, this effect is outstanding! It gives me slightly better quality than centercut and is easier to use than what's in audition for simple extraction. Center gives me a clear center with only redisual sides and sides are clear with some residual sides (which I understand is unavoidable). GW handles it better than centercut which can really distort residuals. The last option....the one that maintains phase of difference, entirely new to me. Never heard that before and you've given me something to study.

I haven't tried vst yet, slight problem of I don't remember where my vst folder is. But stereo center is just outstanding.
Gord

"Open URL" on 64-bit Vista

Post by Gord »

Chris is investigating an issue I have with "Open URL" on my 64-bit Vista Home Premium machine. It seems that I have some of the Media Foundation components, but not all of them. My machine tells GoldWave that Media Foundation is available, but then when GoldWave goes to use it for "Open URL" it can't, because one of the pieces it needs is not there.

(p.s. I agree - the new "Stereo Center" effect is quite remarkable!)
DewDude420

Re: Goldwave 5.60 Beta Thread

Post by DewDude420 »

First time I tried open url it screwed up on me, but I fed it a url for a flac file which media foundation didn't like. Fed it a mp3 url and it worked fine.

The album art worked on the one file I knew had art embedded.

I gave vst a quick try. It failed on a couple plugins which is no big deal because those make even audition stop and go "wtf?". But I had no problems with most. Love the basic parameters tab since some of my plugins have broken uis.

M4a support worked just fine. Saving...opening...just fine.

That's about all I've got right now. I haven't given it an entire go through but it seems stable, but anything could come up
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I came across the following, maybe it has to do with the "Changed the way some windows are forced to the top" (taken from the whatsnew.txt).

I was recording some audio off of YouTube and once the video started playing I got the following picture on the GoldWave screen while the video was playing in the background. I'm just taking a guess, but I'm assuming it might have something to do with Flash. I checked on 5.58 and the problem didn't seem to occur. While going back to Firefox to close out the YouTube video and switch to another tab, I was unable to; all my tabs were locked up and I had to restart the browser.

Can anyone else confirm this; otherwise everything seems to be going good on my end. :)
Gord

Re: video issue - YouTube/Firefox

Post by Gord »

I just tried the same thing and it worked for me: flipping back and forth between Firefox and GoldWave, resizing windows, etc. didn't cause any strange artifacts.

Could you try the same thing using Internet Explorer as your browser to see if that makes any difference on your system?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I tried it in Chrome as I don't use Firefox and I didn't have any issues.

Could it be video driver related?
Sarge

Re: video issue - YouTube/Firefox

Post by Sarge »

Gord wrote:Could you try the same thing using Internet Explorer as your browser to see if that makes any difference on your system?
I did try using Chrome and Internet Explorer, no problem. Only problem seems to be with Firefox and 5.60.

One thing I should have mentioned though is that the problem only occurs when the control panel window is open (which is how it's shown in my post above). When the control panel is docked, no problem at all.

While trying to diagnose it a little further I think GoldWave's control panel window must be over the YouTube video and the recording cursor must cross both the video and the control panel at the same time in order for it to occur. It could also be that and/or a combination of switching back and forth between GoldWave and YouTube too. I dunno, just still trying to decipher/help (unless it's just me). :P
DewDude420 wrote:Could it be video driver related?
I don't think so, this is the only strange thing that I can think of. While it may just be me experiencing an issue because I've never had a problem with GoldWave; always been stable :D. The only reason I did want to make a special note about it was because I thought it could have been related to something with 5.60.
Gord

Post by Gord »

Thanks for the update, Sarge. Details like that are important.

FWIW, I switched to "Classic Control" and put the Control window over the main GoldWave display window and moved Firefox so the YouTube video was on top of both. While playing a video and recording in GoldWave I switched back and forth without difficulty.

So, maybe it is just you. ;) Or, it could be a quirk of your particular video card+driver and how they handle Firefox (playing YouTube) and GoldWave simultaneously. (But heck, I know even less about video than what little I've picked up about audio....)
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I'm thinking it's something funny with video overlays...which is why I stated a video driver issue. The drivers might be new, but they're not always perfect. It's like my laptop...if I run the brand new drivers from nvidia, performance drops like a rock. I have to use the 2 year old release of the drivers in order to keep my fps at acceptable levels. Because I'm seeing what looks like the youtube video app behind the control window with the active portions over top...timer, vu, visualizations. the more static portions..like play controls, silder....are hidden. I've seen this kind of weirdness before...and it was usually some funky interference between apps and or apps/video. I haven't been able to reproduce it (I also don't run firefox)...so it's now a thing of wait and see if someone else can reproduce the problem or maybe we can try tracking down what your particular problem is.

I do have access to a computer that runs Vista 64 and has Firefox on it, I'll jump on that thing later and see if I can reproduce it there.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It looks like a video driver problem. Haven't been able to duplicate the problem on my systems so far.

It's interesting that only the visuals appear on top of the video window and not the rest of the Control window elements. The visuals are rendered on a different thread than the rest of GoldWave's interface.

Try closing the Control window and position the video window so that it covers the status and level visuals in GoldWave's tool bar to see if they still show through (I suspect they would).

Chris
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

So far no problems -

I've tried recording & playback with CoreAudio WASAPI (Windows 7, Realtek sound chip)
Records OK from Line-In and from Stereo Mix (After enabling Stereo Mix in Windows)

Open URL worked fine (once I found a direct link to an audio file).

Saving & re-opening M4A worked fine (M4A file was created with GoldWave).
I was also able to open an AAC file, which I created with a different application and renamed to M4A. (I don't have iTunes,)
I was also able to open & save WAV & MP3 files.

The Stereo Center effect seems to work OK, but I think I'm hearing FFT artifacts (which is probably to be expected).
Gord

Re: Realtek playback under WASAPI

Post by Gord »

Hi Doug. I see that you have a Realtek sound chip. Could you please try opening

http://members.kingston.net/gdt/audio/captcha.mp3

and see if you can play it? On my system (Vista 64, also with Realtek) I can open my local copy of the file but I can't play it under WASAPI. (I can play it if I switch back to DirectSound.) It seems that my Realtek driver has really weak WASAPI support and I can only play files with sampling rates of 44100, 48000, 96000, or 192000 Hz.
DewDude420

Re: Goldwave 5.60 Beta Thred

Post by DewDude420 »

Doug,

Your stereo mix works? Was it just a WASAPI issue because I've not been able to get stereo mix working on my realtek. I'm pretty sure I blew the card up since mic in acts like its stuck on line mode and it isn't supposed to have a line mode.

Gord,

I've played some funky sample rates on mine...but not with gw 5.6 ove wasapi. Most cards these days dropped support for sample rates under 44.1 and rely on kernel resampling to bump everything to that rate. Maybe there's something there.

BTW, Firefox on the other system caused no problems.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Doug,Your stereo mix works? Was it just a WASAPI issue because I've not been able to get stereo mix working on my realtek. I'm pretty sure I blew the card up since mic in acts like its stuck on line mode and it isn't supposed to have a line mode.
Yes. I played an audio/video file in VLC and while recording with GoldWave. Of course, there is more than one Realtek chip/driver.

Stereo Mix showed-up as an option in GoldWave, but it failed the recording "Test" until after I enabled it in the Windows Control Panel. (I'd never tried it on this machine before.)
Hi Doug. I see that you have a Realtek sound chip. Could you please try opening

http://members.kingston.net/gdt/audio/captcha.mp3
I have to wait 'till I get home this evening (California time).
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

If it's a Realtek HD Codec then they're mostly the same (all part of the 6xx series). It could be for all I know a configuration issue...but even windows shows no activity on it.

Also..on renaming aac to m4a shouldn't have worked (at least android doesn't like it) but I guess media foundation doesn't care...and stereo center makes heavy use of fft, its pretty much unavoidable at any setting..but its the same with *any* of those effects I've played with.