Goldwave 5.60 Beta Thread

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DougDbug

Re: Realtek playback under WASAPI

Post by DougDbug »

Gord wrote:Hi Doug. I see that you have a Realtek sound chip. Could you please try opening

http://members.kingston.net/gdt/audio/captcha.mp3

and see if you can play it? On my system (Vista 64, also with Realtek) I can open my local copy of the file but I can't play it under WASAPI. (I can play it if I switch back to DirectSound.) It seems that my Realtek driver has really weak WASAPI support and I can only play files with sampling rates of 44100, 48000, 96000, or 192000 Hz.
Yes, I could open & play the file... I think... It's unintelligible. It it supposed to be?
Gord

Re: Realtek playback under WASAPI

Post by Gord »

DougDbug wrote:Yes, I could open & play the file...
Okay, thanks.
DougDbug wrote:I think... It's unintelligible. It it supposed to be?
It's a sound file from reCAPTCHA. If a visually-impaired user can't see the captcha picture on the screen they can request an audio challenge. So, it's purposely messed up, just like the characters in a captcha picture.
DewDude420

Re: Goldwave 5.60 Beta Thread

Post by DewDude420 »

Hey guys,

I'm being bad and reporting something I only got once and never investigated, but was chopping up sund clips, went to export one to ogg q10 and got division by zero. Never dug deeper in to it.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I'm following up on my video overlay problem, and I think I found out what it was.

I've since restarted my computer, which I may do once a week (I usually keep it hibernated) and the problem thankfully hasn't occurred after 3 days. So now I am assuming it was some sort of video issue on my end. I'm wondering if it had possibly something to do with the system waking back from hibernation and doing something with the video driver?

The computer giving me the troubles was running XP, but before I tried resetting it, I also tried to replicate the issue on Windows Vista and 7, and they didn't occur no matter what I did. :D

So I'm safe to say it was on my end and that the problem hasn't happened yet (knock on wood)... maybe all my computer just needed a good reset? :P
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Sarge: good to hear your problem went away. sometimes, especially with XP, a reboot is all you need.

I'm following up on my division by 0 ogg problem. I attempted it the other night on several files and had no problems...encoded to q10 with no problem. So that problem was just...I don't know..codec confusion or something.
TheMadTexan

Post by TheMadTexan »

Hi All,

I'm having a show-stopper issue with the beta version. I can't seem to successfully initialize any USB microphone input on my system. I actually have 3 of them and I get the same error for all three in the "test device" dialog:

(Green Check) Normal Status
(Red X) Cannot open device in exclusive mode. Either the given rate, channels, or quality is not supported or the device is in use.

I've tried every possible combination of Rate, Channels, and bit depth - same results across all combos and all devices.

I made sure to shutdown everything that could possibly want to grab a mic device (IM clients included). I am able to use all of the devices successfully with any other programs I might try, including the previous release of GoldWave.

No problems initializing any other input, including the analog microphone inputs on the sound cards.

Thoughts?

System Specs:
Windows 7 X64 SP1. Quad Core, 16GB RAM
Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreem Audio sound card
USB Mic devices: Logitech Pro 9000 webcam, Jabro Pro 9490 headset, MXL Studio 1 Mic
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

You're right.

I plugged in a Logitech USB Mic and was able to replicate the problem with little effort.

The problem is related to the use of Core Audio/WASAPI in 5.6. What, exactly the issue is, I can't tell. If you switch it to DirectSound API, you can initalize the use the usb mic normally. I tried playing with various settings in Windows and was unable to get the mic to work while using WASAI. I did notice range of the volume control for it ranged from 16 to 24, and was all red. So there is obviously some real issue here.

It's not related to the fact that Recording Properties has a VU meter for the device that's locking it...because it haas one for my internal mic and Goldwave is able to record from that in WASAPI just fine.
Gord

Post by Gord »

On the "Device" tab of the "Control Properties" dialog (F11) there is a "Shared mode only" checkbox. Does tweaking that have any effect?
TheMadTexan

Post by TheMadTexan »

No, no difference. I neglected to mention it, but I also tried all the possible combinations of the "Shared Mode" checkbox in the GW dialog and the "Allow apps exclusive access" setting in the Windows sound control panel.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I believe the USB microphone problem and the Realtek/captcha playback problem are the same. There is a function in WASAPI for asking the device if it supports a certain combination of rates, channels, and resolutions. If it doesn't, it should suggest an alternative combination. I suspect that in these cases, the function always fails and does not provide an alternative. Fortunately there are ways around that problem, which will be included in the next update.

Chris
cerveaupro

Post by cerveaupro »

Core Audio / WASAPI mutes audio from internet browser (IE9) once a file is played in GW. Audio from other sources (ex: Windows Media Player) has no problem reading meanwhile. GW has to be closed and browser page refreshed to get volume back. No audio muted with DirectSound API.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

cerveaupro,
That's normal behaviour. GoldWave uses exclusive mode playback to ensure the file plays at the selected quality and sampling rate. That means no other programs can use the audio device while GoldWave is using it. You can check the "Share mode only" box (press F11, Device tab) to always share the device with other programs, but use whatever sampling rate and quality the system is configured to use.

TheMadTexan, DewDude420,
What formats are listed as supported (if any) for the USB microphone when using the Information button on the System tab in GoldWave?

Chris
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Chris:

I have both my Logitech USB Microphone (the one included with Guitar Hero for Wii) and my Logitech USB headset plugged up.Thier entries show no valid formats, and a wildly invalid volume control range. I've pasted some of the information pasted by Goldwave, mostly editing out a bunch of extra devices in playback/record.

The USB microphone is the only thing I've had issues with...HOWEVER, I cannot vouch for my USB DAC/ADC. I cannot consider that a very valid test as to if it's a problem with Windows in general since the drivers for it don't function properly with Windows 7 to begin with; I also don't know where the last place was I put it so physically finding the thing is the first hassle (and since it's smaller than a pack of smokes...that could be difficult)

Code: Select all

Computer: 
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (6.1, build 7601)
	Level Activated: Off
	Unbounded: Off
	dc Filter: Off
		   Volume (-64.0dB to 0.0dB): -21.0
		   44100Hz at 16 bit, 24 bit
		   48000Hz at 16 bit, 24 bit
		   96000Hz at 16 bit, 24 bit
		   192000Hz at 16 bit, 24 bit

Record Devices:
    WASAPI
	+ Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) [05E0] (selected)
		   Volume (-16.5dB to 12.0dB): -16.5
		   44100Hz at 16 bit
		   48000Hz at 16 bit

+ Microphone (2- Logitech USB Headset) [0527]
		   Volume (16.0dB to 29.0dB): 22.6

+ Microphone (2- Logitech USB Microphone) [0527]
		   Volume (16.0dB to 29.0dB): 24.0

TheMadTexan

Post by TheMadTexan »

Likewise. No valid formats listed for any USB input device, and a really screwed up volume.

Looked it up using terminal services from my phone (way cool BTW). I can post the details once I get back home if you need 'em
Lipus

Post by Lipus »

Hi, everybody!
As with previous versions of GW, I cannot record, or if I can through the Line input, I cannot monitor the sound. I am running Windows 7. My Sound card is a Creative XFi XTreme Audio. In the volume tab, there is no "What you hear" option; only SPDIF (Sound Blaster).

Any clue ?
Thanks