Recording from Stereo Mix Bus on HP with HDMI Output

GoldWave general discussions and community help
jamjr99

Recording from Stereo Mix Bus on HP with HDMI Output

Post by jamjr99 »

:) I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit version) on an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400y desktop. The system has Realtek High Definition Audio on the motherboard and an AMD HDMI output card, which I have connected via HDMI through a Sony 5.1 Receiver into a Samsung LED monitor. I was unable to record from the stereo mix bus (which is part of the Realtek hardware) until I discovered the following settings:
Set the default playback device to Speakers (which are driven by the Realtek hardware). Unless you have a separate set of speakers (2 or 5.1, both of which are supported) you can plug a set of headphones into the regular stereo speaker output (not the headphone jack) and configure the speakers for the Realtek device as stereo or stereo headphones. You may leave the AMD HDMI configuration at 5.1 because the system will remember both settings. Then go to the recording device and set the default to the Realtek stereo mix bus. Set Goldwave to record from the stereo mix bus and it should work. However, your recording monitor device will be whatever you have plugged into the Realtek speaker jack (e.g., headphones) and not the HDMI output, which will be silent. For recording from Line In, you needn't set the default output device to Speakers, but you'll still get your monitor output through that jack and the HDMI will remain silent. (Playback, though, will be through the HDMI in that case). I contacted HP about this and they hadn't a clue--didn't even seem to know how their own computer was configured.

Don't forget to reset your default output device to the HDMI output when you're finished recording from the mix bus.

This applies to Goldwave 5.58 and beta version 5.63 in both Core Audio/WASAPI and DirectSound API modes.