GoldWave Version 5.65

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Nigga 4 Life

GoldWave Version 5.65

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

01] I like the new properties on the visual tab. That was more or less ‘hidden’ to me even though I could access it with another JAWS cursor. I know I have no use for them but the accessibility part is an improvement in itself.

02] The Tone Metre visual sounds like a very complex but very cool new type of visual. I hope I will be able to make use of it. I like the idea of an ‘audio visual’ as much of an oxymoron as that may be.

03] I still encounter the setting to select ‘average’ on the Device tab for recording not being saved. It reverts back to ‘left channel’ every time I press OK then press F11 again to go back in and make sure it remained ‘average’. I do not know why it does this but it never stays.

04] As I re-added the VST plug-ins I noticed if I press the Down Arrow key when focused on the All/None button JAWS says ‘icons bar tool bar’ and tells me to press Space to activate. I do that and it does nothing so I did it again assuming it toggled something. What does that do? And is it possible the All/None button can be changed to Select All when nothing is checked and Deselect All when all are? It remains All/None either way as of now and some times I do not know what is checked and what is not. Basically I was thinking the toggle button could give some indication whether all are checked and all are not. The information dialogues are still not like all the other dialogues in the program [e.g. ‘No new updates were found.’ which can be read by pressing the Down Arrow key when focused on the OK button.

05] I do not know if a fix was yet implemented but when I installed the new version the entry to 5.64 still existed. When I looked in CCleaner I noticed it so I uninstalled it. It said there is a newer version so it would remove the entry and when I pressed OK it returned another dialogue telling me the program has been removed. Is there something wrong with the current uninstaller causing it to leave the previous version's entry? I do not use the Control Panel's uninstallation mechanism because CCleaner's is much more easy.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: GoldWave Version 5.65

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A properties button for visuals became a necessity when the Tone Meter was added, but it also makes all users aware that many visuals have properties, which isn't obvious unless you read the help.

The left/right/average recording setting seems to work fine on my system. I'd be interested to hear from anyone having a problem with it.

The "icons bar" is just a way of assigning different icons to VST effects. As for All/None status, you can use Shift+Tab to go back to the list to see if an item is checked or not, then you'll know what state they all are. Changing the label wouldn't help. There would have to be two separate buttons, All and None. I had to modify the Embarcadero source code to get message dialogs to display text in a more screen reader friendly form in GoldWave. I'll make a note to add that modification to the VST plug-in too.

Previous uninstall entries should be removed. The v5.64 uninstall entry was removed on all my systems, so I'm not sure why it still existed on yours. Perhaps the uninstall log was deleted or you had more than one version installed at the same time.

Chris
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

I only had 1 uninstall log: the one 5.64 installed. When I install a new version I do not uninstall the old one but no matter what the old entry has always remained till I got rid of it. But now for a couple times the removal process is more ‘friendly’ because it used to return some error before version 5.60 beta I think .
Nigga 4 Life

Post by Nigga 4 Life »

I also noticed both the manual and compiled HTML file/integrated help system] has not been updated. I understand you are busy; I just wanted to learn more about the Tone Metre and how to use it. If I could help edit the documentation I would to assist you [and clean up those scattered errors hahaha] but I have no idea how to edit already composed HTML and CHM files.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Updated help and manual files are included. To read the help for the Tone Meter, press F11, choose the Visual tab, select the Tone Meter as one of the visuals, choose the Properties button, then the Help button. Or just use Help | Contents, choose the "Index" tab, go to "Visual", then select the "Tone Meter Properties" subitem.

Chris
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

It's not just with this version I've noticed this in, but this goes way back even before the betas which I've always wanted to mention.

When you alter or test something out in the properties/setting of an effect, the Cancel button never cancels the effect that was made. The "Close Window" [X] button gives the same effect as the OK button as well.

In other words, the Cancel and Close [X] button all keep the settings if you want to go back without saving them, whereas I would think just the OK button would save the current settings.

I've had this occur on all my computers.

Also, I'm just curious, but how come you have to add the tone meter to the list of visuals; is that only if you have GoldWave already installed; if so why? I've noticed that with other visuals that have been added in the past it requires you to do the same thing. Is the visual already in the list when you download a new version?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you have the "Update default effect settings after each use" item checked under Options | Window, that would explain it.

If you install GoldWave on a clean system (without a previous version), then the first 20 visuals found are added to the quick select menu by default. If GoldWave is already installed and you've used the Control Properties window, then the quick select menu is set to whatever is checked at that point and that does not change when updates are installed. Otherwise every update GoldWave would re-add visuals to the menu that some users may have removed.

Chris
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:If you have the "Update default effect settings after each use" item checked under Options | Window, that would explain it.
I do understand the "update default effect setting after each use", but I probably wasn't too clear. I was actually referring to making "adjustments" while previewing the file... the "adjustments" I was referring to were a test, not something you wanted to apply or save. The adjustments still stay at the last place you left them if you open up the same setting window again, kind of like the Cancel button and Close [X] serve no purpose cause they all save the same position of the sliders or numbers... make sense? Maybe I'm still missing something. :?:
GoldWave Inc. wrote:If you install GoldWave on a clean system (without a previous version)...
Thanks for answering; thought it was something like that.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

1. Program intermittently crashes after splash screen is finished animating.

2. Starting Goldwave kills audio from USB interface (EMU 0404 USB). Audio works OK before starting Goldwave, according to Windows 7 sound control panel.

3. Program crashed when trying to make a recording.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

1. & 3. What are the details of the crash? Creative's website lists the Windows 7 EMU 0404 USB driver as "beta". All the problems you mentioned are most likely related to using a beta sound driver.

2. GoldWave may take exclusive control of the audio device. That is the only way to ensure that the sound hardware is playing and recording at the sampling rate and quality selected. Using "Shared" quality (press F11, Device tab) should allow other programs to continue using the same hardware.

Also try using the old DirectSound mode (press F11, System tab) to see if it helps with all of the above problems.

It may be helpful to report problems to Creative so they can improve their driver.

Chris
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Problem #1 definitely occurred before the beta driver was installed. I can revert to the old driver and see if it helps.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I have reverted to the previous, non-beta driver for the 0404 USB and have removed something called Microsoft Security Essentials. Control Panel -> Sound shows meter deflection for this device.

Starting Goldwave in the DirectSound mode works OK. Switching from DirectSound to WASAPI changes the recording device. Attempting to restore the 0404 kills the audio from the device as evidenced by Control Panel -> Sound (no meter deflection) and causes Goldwave to crash. When Goldwave crashes it is not able to release the exclusive-mode device, requiring a reboot.

When the program starts in DirectSound mode, I can't get it to crash upon startup. When it does crash on startup in WASAPI mode, attempting to close the window results in a "Program Not Responding" message.

How are you handling monaural in WASAPI? I alpha tested the WASAPI implementation of PortAudio and have been through many of these issues.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Does setting both recording and playback quality to "Shared" mode with WASAPI make a difference (if you can get to that point)? When using DirectSound, Windows uses Shared mode internally for the WASAPI device. Shared mode is far better tested than Exclusive mode.

If a program crashes, Exclusive mode should be released automatically. If a reboot is required to restore normal operation, the sound driver has failed.

GoldWave will open a one channel device as mono for recording.

Chris
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Cursory testing shows WASAPI shared mode to be more stable than exclusive mode.
Derek_G

Post by Derek_G »

Just some general quick feedback on VST plugins in 5.65, I've been trying a handful from KVR's searchbase and haven't gotten any to work correctly until this afternoon. Some that I've unsuccessfully tried include a tube booster and a reverb module from Wurr Audio, SIR1 reverb, LiquidSonics Reverberate, the VST version of DX Reverb Light from AnwidaSoft, 2Rule Filter, and the iZotope iDrum VST plugin (purchased). The one that worked was KR Reverb FS from K Research, and it has gotten me even more excited about VST's in GoldWave than I had been. It's making my current project immediately better and even has me touching up some recent past stuff tonight, so I'm looking forward to the VST compatibility improving with future releases. I know you mentioned in the release notes that the VST's need more user testing, so I figured I'd give a heads-up on some that are and aren't working.