Windows 7 and Goldwave

GoldWave general discussions and community help
larnels

Windows 7 and Goldwave

Post by larnels »

Hello all, new member, hope this is not redundent and hope you can help.
Problem with Windows 7 and Goldwave 5.67 (and other recording apps). I see from your forum, and the web, others are having problems with Win 7 audio (boy was XP easy). After much web searching I was finally able to get Realtek Stereo Mix working. I can record “What You Hear” now, but the audio level is much too low for Goldwave (and other apps) around -35db instead of about -20db. I can adjust the input level by: Speakers > Open Volume Mixer > System Sounds, but I have to raise it to 100%. This causes the audio level at the speakers to be way too loud (the controls seem to be locked together, at least when increasing System Sounds). Two questions: am I missing something with Windows 7 audio recording OR where are Goldwave’s input level adjustments. Any help would be greatly appreciated including as drastic as replace my onboard Realtek audio with a sound card or don’t use Goldwave to record, only to edit or some sort of work around. I really, really don’t want to do either.
Windows 7 sp1; AsRock MB FM2A75 Pro4-M; AMD A8-5500 cpu; Realtek “I don’t know what”. Thanks again, Larry Nelson, larnels@frontiernet.net
Gord

Re: Stereo Mix

Post by Gord »

Given the rate at which the Stereo Mix option is disappearing you should consider yourself fortunate that it works at all. :wink:

I have also found that I need to turn the master volume in Windows way up to get a decent level on a Stereo Mix recording. To accommodate that I will either...

1.Turn the volume down on the speakers themselves, or

2. If I'm feeling too lazy to do #1 I will just plug in a pair of crappy airline headphones into the headphone jack and don't put them on. They get the sh*t blasted out of them -- I can hear them across the room -- but I'm not concerned about damaging them (and they haven't blown up yet).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 and Goldwave

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The latest version of GoldWave supports software loopback recording devices, eliminating the need for enabling the Stereo Mix or What You Hear devices.

Chris
Gord

Post by Gord »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:The latest version of GoldWave supports software loopback recording devices, eliminating the need for enabling the Stereo Mix or What You Hear devices.
I just tried it and it works beautifully. Thanks, Chris!!
larnels

Post by larnels »

Many thanks Gord and Chris for your response to my question.
My major confusion was that Goldwave no longer SEEMED to have volume controls in Control Properties and the differences between Win 7 Speakers > Volume Mixer and Win XP Volume > Play Control. Well, after enabling Sound Mixer, AND setting it to be the default device (important) and setting it’s Properties > Levels to 50% and in Speakers > Volume Mixer setting the slider for what ever you are recording from (WMP, VLC Player, Internet Explorer, etc.) to 50% the recording is fine now. AND I find that Goldwave DOES have input level controls in Devices, they just don’t look the same anymore. With the settings as I listed, the Goldwave Software Mix Control gives me plenty of latitude for adjustments.

Chris, I don’t understand your SOFTWARE Loopback Recording Devices. Searching the web basically says that is the same as Stereo Mix (maybe with a different name) which I now have enabled so recording is working fine now. Are you saying that in Goldwave itself I can select that option somewhere and be able to control the recording level? If so that would be great, I would greatly appreciate your elaboration on this a little. Or perhaps Gord would be so kind as to clarify this for me. Thanks a million for your help. Larry Nelson
Gord

Post by Gord »

Hi Larry.
larnels wrote:I don’t understand your SOFTWARE Loopback Recording Devices. Searching the web basically says that is the same as Stereo Mix (maybe with a different name)
That's the general idea. I'm certainly no expert on coding against the Windows audio API(s), but what I've found by tinkering with v5.68 suggests that Chris has found a way to have GoldWave accomplish at the application level what Stereo Mix recording devices did at the driver level. This allows GoldWave users to record "what they hear" even if their audio driver does not support a "Stereo Mix" or "What You Hear" recording device.
larnels wrote:Are you saying that in Goldwave itself I can select that option somewhere and be able to control the recording level?
That's how it works for me when GoldWave is set to use WASAPI on the "System" tab of the Control Properties dialog: On the "Device" tab the drop-down list for "Record" devices includes a LOOPBACK input for each "Playback" output. So, in my case I choose "LOOPBACK Speakers / Headphones..." as my recording input and I can record the signal that's being sent to my speakers, just like Stereo Mix used to do in the good old days.

larnels

Post by larnels »

Thanks all again. GW 5.68 (I had 5.67) does allow software loopback recording which is great (as always a great program Chris). For me though the stereo mix is a little better in that I can control the record level diectly in Goldwave if I have all the other driver/win 7 levels set porperly. So now there is a couple of recording options available. Much appriciate all your help and advice. Larnels
Electroliner

Post by Electroliner »

My apologies if this is redundant, but after installing GW 5.68 yesterday on a Dell Inspiron 620 computer with a Creative Sound Blaster card and Windows 7, Windows 7 will not start up today. Anyone else out there experience this problem.

Russ
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

As I mentioned in the other topic, GoldWave doesn't change any system settings or install any drivers, so it wouldn't affect how the computer runs. I would suggest investigating other possibilities.

Chris
stephen22

Post by stephen22 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:The latest version of GoldWave supports software loopback recording devices, eliminating the need for enabling the Stereo Mix or What You Hear devices.
This is a marvellous development. I'm curious to know how you did it (general principles, not technical details). Presumably it must have needed considerable ingenuity to get round Microsoft's "policeman" - or it wouldn't have taken so long.
mhd

Post by mhd »

Gord wrote:Given the rate at which the Stereo Mix option is disappearing you should consider yourself fortunate that it works at all. :wink:
About that: is there *one* PC maker *anywhere* that *anyone* knows of that includes Stereo Mix (what-u-hear, etc.)? Will you please tell us of *one*?
JackA

Post by JackA »

Gord wrote:
2. If I'm feeling too lazy to do #1 I will just plug in a pair of crappy airline headphones into the headphone jack and don't put them on. They get the sh*t blasted out of them -- I can hear them across the room -- but I'm not concerned about damaging them (and they haven't blown up yet).
I do that, too! Best way to determine correct loudness, if I can still hear my living room headphones in the kitchen! :D

Anyway, I want to interject here. I look at the waveform, then watch the VU meters. One night, I was scratching my head why the VU meters weren't peaking, since the waveform was. It turned out the main volume control changes the VU meters, and had to be 100%! I'm sure that was an over-site!!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

stephen22 wrote:This is a marvellous development. I'm curious to know how you did it...
The ability to capture and process the output is built into WASAPI to allow for things like echo cancellation. It just took a while for sound drivers to become consistent and mature enough for it to work for recording. There are still some driver issues, but at least it's an option for the majority of systems without an enabled Stereo Mix or What You Hear device.

Chris
Fini

Post by Fini »

What works better with Goldwave, Win 7 or Win 8? I'm using windows 7 now but may be getting a new computer with win 8 next week and wondering which I should use Goldwave with.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Either version of Windows works fine with GoldWave.

Chris