Goldwave and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Compatibility

GoldWave general discussions and community help
jdeligiannis

Goldwave and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Compatibility

Post by jdeligiannis »

Hi. Can anyone help me get Goldwave to properly recognize the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I just bought the Focusrite and installed the device drivers.

I have my mic going into the Focusrite via XLR. My Focusrite goes into my PC via USB.

In Goldwave, under Properties > Device > Record Device, I've selected the "Line In (2 Scarlett 2i2 USB)" driver. So Goldwave DOES see the device.

When I record, I also DO get an input. However, during the recording, the recording clock counts the seconds very slowly (i.e., it takes about 2-3 literal seconds for the Goldwave clock to count to 1 second). And during playback, all I hear is ticks where my voice should be.

Please help. I know Goldwave is a great editor/recording program, and from the reviews, I believe the Focusrite is a good interface. I just need to properly marry the two.
Gord

Re: Goldwave and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Compatibility

Post by Gord »

Have you checked the website to ensure that you are using the latest version of the drivers and software?

http://global.focusrite.com/downloads?p ... arlett+2i2
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If updating the driver doesn't help, try switching to DirectSound mode in GoldWave (press F11, System tab).

Chris
jdeligiannis

Post by jdeligiannis »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Updating the driver worked. Why the driver on the CD-RAM didn't work is odd to me. But now it's all good. Thanks guys!!
jdeligiannis

Post by jdeligiannis »

Chris, what is the DirectSound option?

Is that DirectSound option available in GoldWave 4.26 (old, yeah I know, but I prefer this version).
Gord

Post by Gord »

Starting with v5.60, GoldWave added support for the newer "Core Audio/WASAPI" interface found in Windows Vista and later. Your older version of GoldWave likely supports just the older "DirectSound" interface.
vijay.garg@gmail.com

Post by vijay.garg@gmail.com »

I had the same problem. Now it is working partially OK. Clock is still not accurate. I loose about 2/44100 sec per sec.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Sound hardware clocks are rarely accurate. Older sound hardware could be off by as much as 2%, so 2/44100 is actually very good.

Chris
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Clock is still not accurate. I loose about 2/44100 sec per sec.
If you REALLY need a super accurate clock, you need a master clock (usually expensive!) and an audio interface with a master clock input. No clock is absolutely perfect, but for a lot more money you can get a lot closer to perfection... ;)

A garden variety quartz crystal is rated for about 50 parts-per-million. If I've done my math correctly, 2/44,100 is very close to 50 ppm, and that works-out to about 4 seconds of error after 24 hours. You rarely need anything more accurate than that for audio.

However if you are running multiple interfaces at the same time, It CAN important to keep everything synched EXACTLY TOGETHER, and a master clock can do that for you. In the case of keeping the clocks/counts synchronized-together, you CAN get "perfection". The clock-counts are integers and the counts CAN match exactly.