Upgrade issue

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mjacobs

Upgrade issue

Post by mjacobs »

I have been using Goldwave since v.3.

Current operating system: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Processor: Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GByte

I just upgraded from v. 5.67 to 5.68 and seem to have lost drag&drop capability for opening files. Nothing appears in the waveform window, and the controls remain grayed out. I have tested with .wave and .mp3 files. I can open and play files from the file menu. I haven't tried any other operations yet.

How do I fix this problem?

Malin
Gord

Re: Upgrade issue

Post by Gord »

mjacobs wrote:I just upgraded from v. 5.67 to 5.68 and seem to have lost drag&drop capability for opening files. Nothing appears in the waveform window, and the controls remain grayed out
I just tested this and the results seem to confirm an issue with v5.68, at least for 64-bit Windows 7. Specifically:

- 64-bit Vista: drag & drop to open a file works

- 32-bit Windows 7: drag & drop to open a file works

- 64-bit Windows 7: drag & drop to open a file does not work

- 32-bit Windows 8: drag & drop to open a file works

- 64-bit Windows 8: drag & drop to open a file works
mjacobs

Post by mjacobs »

Thanks for the quick verification, Gord. A few extra seconds to use the menu doesn't seem like much, but over the last decade I have processed about 50,000 files using Goldwave, and over that many files a few seconds here and there can add up to a lot of time. (yes, they are all MY files -- I don't use Goldwave commercially).

I hope a solution is quick and easy, as I now have to stop and think every time I open a file, rather tht drag/drop on automatic pilot!

Malin
mjacobs

Post by mjacobs »

Something weird just happened. D&D started working. Yesterday I tried it multiple times with several difffeent files. It didn't work at all, which is why I posted my comment. Today, the first time I tried D&D (I was on automatic pilot), it didn't work. Just now I tried and it did work. I closed the file and tried again and it worked.

Keep in mind, I have been using Goldwave D&D for many years, and yesterday, after I upgraded, it wouldn't work. No equipment change between trials. Multiple trials with several different files. I'm pretty sure it was not a cockpit error on my part.

If it stops working again, I'll report that fact.

Gorg, if the same thing happens with you, then there is an intermittent bug, which may be a devil of a proiblem to track down.

Malin
Gord

Post by Gord »

mjacobs wrote:Gorg, if the same thing happens with you, then there is an intermittent bug, which may be a devil of a proiblem to track down.

Malin
Ha! I just logged in here to report the same thing. D+D didn't work on my 64-bit Win7 notebook yesterday, but when I tried it again today it worked first time. (I was just confirming the behaviour before trying workarounds like "Run as administrator..." or uninstall/reinstall.)

That's weird! I guess we'll just have to wait and see if a pattern develops. :?
Gord

Post by Gord »

Thinking about it some more (waiting for the lights to come back on during the Super Bowl) I seemed to recall a few instances where simple drag-and-drop operations in Windows Explorer would also stop working for me. Restarting the computer often clears up little oddities like that.

However, I just did a Google search and found one possible solution here:
In Windows Explorer, click a file with the left mouse button and keep the button held down. Then press the Escape key. Drag and drop is miraculously re-enabled.
It could be worth a try if/when it happens again.
mjacobs

Post by mjacobs »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

There is at least one possible difference between between your win 7 64 bit D&D function return and mine. My computer was not shut down between the first time I tried V 5.68 D&D and when it eventually started working. (I'm asuming your laptop was turned off between your first verifiction of D&D inoperasbility and when it started working.)

Malin
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A couple of other users noticed the same problem, but I haven't been able to duplicate it yet (Windows 7/64). The problem corrected itself it both cases. It seems to be a Windows problem, but if anyone finds a pattern in GoldWave, I'd be interested to know.

Chris
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I just tried drag-and-drop with a .wav file and it worked.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?