Monitoring using M-Audio USB...

GoldWave general discussions and community help
rocoroco

Monitoring using M-Audio USB...

Post by rocoroco »

I am using an M-Audio USB interface to transfer music from a DAT via a Toslink input - Using Goldwave 5.10 works well. I am however unable to monitor the sound using the internal SoundBlaster card. I am selecting the m-audio for recording and the SoundBlaster as a playback device but I can't get any sound from the SoundBlaster even if I select the Monitor option on the device tab. On playback, everything is fine...

Is there any thing I could do to be able to listen to the music while I am recording?

Thanks!

Rocoroco
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Rocoroco:

You have made a wise purchase and are using it wisely. The converters in the M-Audio products have a well deserved reputation.

I'm not terribly technically gifted, but you might try a few things before more knowledgeable people get here:

In Windows, select Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. Under the first tab "Volume" make sure the sound isn't muted or off. Similarily under the "Audio" tab, check out your volume settings.

I'm not at all familiar with the M-Audio details, but my Extigy has a headphone jack (Extigy by Creative). Your Soundblaster will have one, but I wouldn't use it for recording (it seems that you know this).

Failing this and further help from others on this forum there is always the M-Audio website.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

If any of this works, let us know. Good luck.

PN
rocoroco

Monitoring using m-audio...

Post by rocoroco »

Hi PN, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I am still unable to monitor the incoming signal.
Interestingly, I have tried a freeware audio editor program called Audacity. This software has an option called Software playthrough which works with the m-audio/Sound blaster combination. This editor is not as sophisticated as GoldWave but at least I know that it is possible to feed data into the m-Audio and listening to it through the Sound Blaster. I wish I could find a way to do this with Goldwave!

p.s. I have visited the m-audio web page and am using the latest driver. Thanks.

Rocoroco
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Rocoroco:

It seems that there should be a method.

Just interested, but what model of M-Audio do you have? I'm in the market for a higher grade interface/soundcard, and I don't need built in sounds because I use a hard synth to generate sounds from my midi files.

With this information, I can check on another forum that I partake in.

PN
rocoroco

Post by rocoroco »

The soundcard is an external unit from M-Audio called "Transit M-Audio" and described as a High-resolution Mobile unit audio interface. You can find the detail here: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=pro ... interfaces
This interface does not support midi however it has a Digital (Toslink) input and output plus analog inputs/outputs.
My interest was for the Toslink input - As I mentioned originally, I use it with a sony TCD-D7 Digital Audio Tape - I have rigged a small Toslink transmitter to the digital output of the DAT and feed it to the m-audio device - It works great, allowing me to produce WAV files directly from my DAT without having to go analog.

Rocoroco
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Rocoroco:

Went to the website and found the connections in the pictures.

I assume you connect the DAT to the "line/optical input", and then the "USB port" to the computer.

Doesn't the "headphone/line output" work with headphones?

PN
rocoroco

Post by rocoroco »

Yes, the digital output of the DAT is converted via a toslink transmitter and connected to the Digital input of the m-audio interface.
And yes, there is a connection for a headphone however this Output only works when you are actually playing back from the Computer - It cannot be used simultaneously when the digital input is being used - This is why I use a SoundBlaser internal card for the playback...
But again, and unfortunately, using Goldwave, I cannot listen to the input signal even if I select the SoundBlaster as the Playback device.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the way GoldWave handles the input signal as I have found that "Audacity" allows me to do it through a software option...

Rocoroco
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave does not directly support pass-through playback when recording. However, you can use "Start | Programs | GoldWave | GoldWave Setup" and check the "Allow playback while recording" option. You can then start recording and press the play button to hear what is being recorded. You may need to reduce the latency (press F11, Device tab) if you hear silence or gaps during playback.

Chris
rocoroco

Success!!!

Post by rocoroco »

Hi Chris!
This is exactly what I was looking for! GoldWave now works perfectly for me and my DAT... I had completely overlooked the separate GoldWave Setup option. Thanks for the reminder.
I can now use GoldWave the way I used to with my previous analog setup.
Thanks again!

Rocoroco.
NetReamer

Works for USB Turntable too

Post by NetReamer »

Thanks for the answer Chris. I never knew that option was even in Goldwave and while I might have used it before for some things, now I really need it. I just picked up a USB Turntable. It comes with Audacity and of course wants me to use that. The only selling point for doing that was Audacity's Playthrough option (so input from one sound device can be output through another). The Goldwave feature you document (allow playback while recording) is good enough (not real-time) so that I can monitor the recording and know if there is a problem with the vinyl or turntable or whatever.

(posting this also so those people trying to "search" for tricks for using Goldwave with a USB turntable find this configuration setting)