32k and times not correct on VBR files

GoldWave general discussions and community help
crazy4ts

32k and times not correct on VBR files

Post by crazy4ts »

Hi,

I started to redo my MP3 files in the VBR mode. I noticed that some recent files I did with Goldwave after editing the file to remove a pronouced pop at the end of each file (thanks to Napster) show up as 32K and my display lists them as Fixed not VBR. Also the times are way out of wack instead 6 minutes they read as 54 minutes. This issue occures when I play the files on Open NEO 2.0 and Musicmatch, but does show the proper bitrate and time if played in Winamp or WMP. Anyone have a clue what I did wrong.

All previous files 100 or so files I did in VBR mode from Musicmatch display properly.

Thanks.

D
crazy4ts

XING issue

Post by crazy4ts »

I posted with Open Neo and they seem to think that the saved files header is missing a XING header frame resulting in the bitrate from the first frame found being used. If a XING header is found it uses the info in the header to calculate the average bitrate of the track.

Is this an issue with Gold Wave not saving the VBR file properly?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: 32k and times not correct on VBR files

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Recent versions of GoldWave use the "bWriteVBRHeader" option when creating VBR files. That writes the XING header in the file. Make sure you have a recent version of the LAME encoder installed as well.

Chris
crazy4ts

Post by crazy4ts »

Thanks for reply Chris,

I am using GW 5.10 licensed.

LAME encoder:

Directory of C:\Program Files\GoldWave

04/11/2004 10:37 PM 174,592 lame_enc.dll

I still have the issue. I just ripped a new CD Using MM and got my VBR file which plays displays fine in all players. Then if I open with GW 5.10 and save as using Custom VBR HIGH. The resulting file when played is not recognized as a VBR file but a fixed 32kbps file.

D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It seems the VBR header is not being filled in like it should be. I'll take a closer look at that before the next update.

Chris
crazy4ts

Thanks.

Post by crazy4ts »

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Will be waiting patiently.

:D