Goldwave recording Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

GoldWave general discussions and community help
noexit

Goldwave recording Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

Post by noexit »

I'm having some trouble getting Goldwave to successfully record an analogue signal in to my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. Goldwave does successfully detect and record Windows sounds that are played back through the Focusrite (i.e. mp3 played by VLC Media Player or Youtube video played in Chrome browser). However, analogue signals into the Focusrite are not being passed through into Goldwave.

I'm currently using Goldwave 6.22 on a Windows 8.1 laptop. I currently have the latest drivers installed for the Scarlett 18i8 and I've only had this audio interface a few weeks.

I currently have Goldwave's recording selection as "LOOPBACK Line Out (Scarlett 18i8 USB)". The other recording option in the list regarding this interface is "Line In (Scarlett 18i8 USB)". This latter option doesn't seem to pass anything into Goldwave. No windows sounds either.

Playback selection in Goldwave is "Line Out (Scarlett 18i8 USB)." Playing back from Goldwave seems to work fine. On the System Tab in Goldwave I have "Use Cor Audio/WASAPI" selected. And I'm currently using the Scarlett 18i8 as my default Recording and Playback device in Windows.

Any guidance from anyone familiar with any of the Focusrite Scarlett devices and Goldwave would be greatly appreciated.
DougDbug

Re: Goldwave recording Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

Post by DougDbug »

There may be too many input channels for GoldWave.

I don't think GoldWave can record multi-track, and it might be capturing the wrong input channels. If it's going to work, I'd assume it's recording channels 1 & 2 as left & right and the other inputs may be ignored.
I currently have Goldwave's recording selection as "LOOPBACK Line Out (Scarlett 18i8 USB)".
That should be recording the sound that's coming out of the computer and into the Scarlett via USB. That's generally NOT what you want. (Loopback is normally used for recording streaming audio from the Internet, etc.)

Your interface should have come with Abelton Live Lite, and you may need to use that (or other multi-track DAW software).

Or, the website also says:
Included in the package is the Scarlett MixControl low-latency DSP-based software mixer and router...
You may be able to use that utility to route the selected line inputs to GoldWave.