Three Simple Things Please?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
philhulett

Three Simple Things Please?

Post by philhulett »

If these essential functions are already possible, please let me know.

1 - A free movement cursor that can drop anywhere in the wave form and not create a marker.

2 - Digital Time/Time and Status shows the time at the point where the cursor is.

3 - Actually be able to instantly move the cursor from beginning to end with the Home and End buttons...or some other way (my #2 concern is in play here as well).

These three functions will make the world a kinder place. I really mean that in the best way possible.

Thanks in advance for commenting.

Hoping for the best,

PH
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Three Simple Things Please?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Playback cursor comes close to want you require. You can use Ctrl+G to move it to any time, or drag-and-drop it, or right-click and choose "Set Playback Marker". The time is shown in the status bar. If "View | Auto Scroll Lock" is checked, then the Home and End keys move the cursor.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

OP: you could clear up a few mysteries just by downloading the demo and running it. Why ask others for info when you could find out for yourself?
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
philhulett

Post by philhulett »

Thanks tristan. That was helpful.

In the interest of being fast, efficient, and beyond broadcast quality, I ask these questions because I've read the manual and these three items do not appear anywhere. In fact, following the directions from the Goldwave expert do not achieve these three items either. Honestly, I am giving this program the benefit of the doubt until those who use it daily weigh in with hacks. I spend 6 hours a day in my home studio with the latest version of Audition and I'm proficient with ProTools, so I'm not a newbie...just new to Goldwave and it is anything but orthodox when compared to the two mentioned.

For the Goldwave expert (thanks for your input), on your solutions...

Timer - does not show the time where the cursor is placed. It shows 00:00:00.0 in every case, except when playing or recording, which is useful, but not what I'm looking for in this instance.

Home/End - I have scroll lock selected and the home/end buttons do nothing. Being able to instantly go to the end and see the total time would be helpful. Here's what I'm doing as a hack...ctrl+A + end/home works. It's an extra key-stroke, but I'll take it. By the way, is there a way to increase the font by about 6 points on the readout at the bottom where the total time is displayed?

Cursor - Not ideal but I'll learn to live with it.

Thanks in advance for your follow up.

Phil
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The playback cursor time is shown in the status bar (not the elapsed time display in the Control window, though that is being considered for a future update). When the View | Scroll Lock menu item is checked, the Home and End keys move the playback cursor to the start of the selection or the end of the selection. Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End move it to the beginning and end of the file. Options | Keyboard can be used to assign other keys.

There currently isn't a way to change the font size of the status bar directly (that would involve changing the Windows font settings).
philhulett

Post by philhulett »

Brilliant suggestion on increasing the system font size. Thanks for that.

Great news on considering an upgrade to the running time. When that happens let me know so I can lobby our team to update our version.

RE: "When the View | Scroll Lock menu item is checked, the Home and End keys move the playback cursor to the start of the selection or the end of the selection. Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End move it to the beginning and end of the file." --- None of that works. I have v5.58. Is what you describe a more recent development?
Again, the keystroke Ctrl+a highlights the entire file and activates the "home" and "end" keys. Otherwise those keys do nothing, with or without the ctrl command.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There have been "recent developments" in the 7 years since v5.58 was released.