Crashes

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
jrc

Crashes

Post by jrc »

Recently we've been having frequent lockups, often when using multiquence. The drwatson log shows several access violations. The OS in win xp sp2 with latest updates. The log also shows several problems with our firewall (sygate). Any ideas what may be the problem?
John
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Crashes

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If the freezes, lockups, and firewall activity occur even when Multiquence is not running, you'll need to scan for the latest viruses and spyware.

Multiquence alone should not be accessing the network/firewall. However it uses DirectShow to open video files and that may access the network under some conditions. You should see similar activity if you open the file in Windows Media Player.

Does the Dr. Watson log reveal the name of the module where the access violation occurs? Occasionally other programs install unstable DirectShow decoders/filters (.ax files) that cause this type of problem. Bad sound and video drivers can be a source of trouble as well.

Chris
jrc

Post by jrc »

I don't know what to look for in the drwatson log to answer your question. I updated the drivers for our mouse (MS wheel mouse optical) and this seems to help. Lock ups occur when using the mouse wheel (I have still had some lock ups after the update, but not so often). So far, no lockups with MQ since the update. I suspect the video card, too, but it looks like the drivers are up to date.

I don't see any problem with MQ and our firewall or antivirus program. These are up to date with regular scans scheduled. Antispyware, too.

Thanks for the answer. Hopefully our problem is solved.
John