Google recorder m4a file opening issue

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Dog

Google recorder m4a file opening issue

Post by Dog »

My Pixel 2 phone has the google recorder app installed. When I export the sound files to my PC I can't open them with Goldwave. It says an exception has occurred during processing. I'm running Win 10 and Goldwave version 6.51. I have tried renaming the extension to aac but got the same result.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Google recorder m4a file opening issue

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you are just using the audio (not the transcription) one solution would be to install the GoldWave app to do the recording instead.

Are you able to play the M4A file in Windows?
Dog

Post by Dog »

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I can play it with windows. Groove music pops up and plays it.
I didn't know there was a Goldwave app. I'll have to check it out!
I'm curious though, are they a special form of m4a file that requires a unique codec?
Dog

Post by Dog »

Chris, Thanks again. The app is cool and solves the problem for me. I was not using the transcription feature, just recording bird sounds. I'll have to play with it some more. And figure out what triggers backwards playback. Maybe my fat finger. What is the level activated option? I want to max out sensitivity for recording faint sounds. Will I need to use this option?
Thanks,

Steve
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I'll have to check into the Google recorder app to see what format it uses. Or if you still have a file available, you can send a copy. You can contact me here and I can provide upload instructions.

If the app plays backwards, you may be pressing the rewind button. You can make the playback control area smaller by dragging the diamond on the right down and that will hide the rewind/fast forward buttons. If that helps, then buttons may need more spacing.