Feature request

GoldWave general discussions and community help
als

Feature request

Post by als »

I hope that this is the appropriate place to post a feature request. I've been using Goldwave for many years and love it. However, there is one feature I have to turn to Audacity to take advantage of and that's the ability to importvery large wav files as raw data. I know Goldwave can already handle raw files but the files in question are wav files far in excess of the 4gB size limit. I would much rather use one program to process these files. Therefore I would like to ask if this feature could be added to Goldwave. If I'm being a complete idiot and have overlooked some method of being able to do this already in Goldwave I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me how. Thanks.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Feature request

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave already handles files larger than 4GB. The 4GB limit applies only to certain file formats, such as Wave, that have a limited structure size. What happens when you try to open large raw files in GoldWave on your system?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I don't have any oversize WAV files but I think the problem is that you can't make GoldWave ignore the WAV file header. I've tried renaming a WAV file to .RAW, .SND .TXT, .123, etc., and I can't open it as raw data. It always opens normally without asking for the format details (sample rate, bit depth, etc.).
als

Post by als »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 am
GoldWave already handles files larger than 4GB. The 4GB limit applies only to certain file formats, such as Wave, that have a limited structure size. What happens when you try to open large raw files in GoldWave on your system?
I can open large raw files with no problems. My issue is that I have some very large files that have a ".wav" file extension. Whether these are genuine wavs or not I don't know. These files are around 13gb to 15gb in size and they play just fine in Windows Media Player. My workaround at present is to import them into Audacity as raw data, then splitiing them into smaller "chunks" and saving them as wav files. Then I can open all the smaller files in Goldwave and do my editing. I would just like to be able to use Goldwave for the whole process.
als

Post by als »

DougDbug wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:30 pm
I don't have any oversize WAV files but I think the problem is that you can't make GoldWave ignore the WAV file header. I've tried renaming a WAV file to .RAW, .SND .TXT, .123, etc., and I can't open it as raw data. It always opens normally without asking for the format details (sample rate, bit depth, etc.).
Yes, that's my experience too. If I try to rename the WAV files as RAW I can't open them. I think you are right about the file headers. I searched online for audio editing software that can import files as raw data and was surprised to find that there are very few options. Audacity and Adobe Audition being the only two I could find. As I said in the OP I can use Audacity to import these large files, but I would much rather be able to use Goldwave to do this step.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The only way to open such a Wave file in GoldWave is to change first byte of the file so that GoldWave does not detect it as a Wave file (change the "RIFF" to "BIFF" would work). Wave files that are over 4GB are not valid Wave files, but specifications/standards don't seem to mean much these days.
als

Post by als »

I'm so sorry for the late reply. Your suggestion worked perfectly! I can't thank you enough. I wish I had known about this "workaround" ages ago, it is many times faster than using Audacity. Much appreciated!