'Volume tab' in the 'Control property' is missing!

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Schimiter

'Volume tab' in the 'Control property' is missing!

Post by Schimiter »

I'm learning how to use Goldwave through youtube guide videos, and I realized my Goldwave does not have 'Volume tab' in the 'Control property.' Does it mean that the guide is using different version of Goldwave, or is there something wrong with mine? (I'm using v5.69) if possible, how do I make it appear in the control property?
Last edited by Schimiter on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gord

Re: 'Volume tab' in the 'Control property' is missing!

Post by Gord »

Newer versions of GoldWave use "Core Audio/WASAPI" by default and the "Volume" tab does not appear in that case. There is probably nothing wrong with your GoldWave install.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

The volume tab was actually just an easier method of getting to the record mixer for Directsound. It will appear if you select DirectSound under the information tab.

Most of the video SHOULD help; the obvious difference is when they want you to adjust something in the volume tab; you have to make sure you're picking the proper device from Windows. Goldwave will let you pick it's recording device for WASAPI under the Devices tab; it will also give you a basic volume control there.

If you are trying to use Stereo Mix, this doesn't actually work the way it used to. The way of doing it now with Goldwave is to pick the "LOOPBACK" of your output device in Record.
Schimiter

Post by Schimiter »

Gord wrote:Newer versions of GoldWave use "Core Audio/WASAPI" by default and the "Volume" tab does not appear in that case. There is probably nothing wrong with your GoldWave install.
Thank you, Gord! Can I ask another question here? Whats the difference between using Core Audio/WASAPI and DirectSound API? Which one would be generally better option for editing/recording mp3 song?
Schimiter

Post by Schimiter »

DewDude420 wrote:The volume tab was actually just an easier method of getting to the record mixer for Directsound. It will appear if you select DirectSound under the information tab.

Most of the video SHOULD help; the obvious difference is when they want you to adjust something in the volume tab; you have to make sure you're picking the proper device from Windows. Goldwave will let you pick it's recording device for WASAPI under the Devices tab; it will also give you a basic volume control there.

If you are trying to use Stereo Mix, this doesn't actually work the way it used to. The way of doing it now with Goldwave is to pick the "LOOPBACK" of your output device in Record.

Thanks, DewDude420 :D I still have one more question. Whats the difference between using "LOOPBACK" and Stereo Mix? Which one would be generally better option for editing/recording mp3 song?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Well, in my opinion; Stereo Mix doesn't work. Every Win 7 machine I've seen with that option; just doesn't work. If yours for some reason does; then there's no real difference between using a Loopback and stereo mix. But I think you'll find you can't get stereo mix to work at all and will have to use a loopback to dub audio.
msm

Post by msm »

Hi -
I was recording from CD with record levels on older version; now have new version. Does the volume bar in 'record' in 'control properties' in db, replace the old record level bar? What is the conversion from old record levels, say, 8, or 9, or 10, to db? That is, how do old integer 'record levels' map to new db recording levels? So that I can hear external speakers and have recording not hear the computer speakers, I use Core Audio/WASAPI and loopback.
Thanks -
Michael
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

You replied to a post from 2013...
I was recording from CD with record levels on older version; now have new version.
First... You shouldn't be "recording" CDs. You can read/extract the digital data (commonly called "ripping"). Ripping is faster and you can get the exact digital data repackaged as a WAV file. (Or you can save-as MP3, etc.) And most ripping applications will get the album/song/title/artwork information from the Internet and "tag" the files with that information. The data on an audio CD isn't formatted as regular computer file so it requires a special ripping application. (I use Exact Audio Copy or CueRipper, but GoldWave can also do it.)

With GoldWave you can use Tool -> CD Reader.

Windows Media Player and iTunes can also rip CDs or More CD rippers.
What is the conversion from old record levels, say, 8, or 9, or 10, to db?
Decibels are a relative/logarithmic measure. The fact that they are relative means you need a reference. The 0dB reference for digital audio is 0dBFS (zero decibels full scale) which is essentially the digital maximum* so digital dB levels are normally negative. 0dB is 100%, -6dB is 50% amplitude, -12dB is 25%, and -20dB is 10% (just some common values I happen to know).

If you try to go over 0dB you'll clip (distort) your analog-to-digital converter (recording) or your digital-to-analog converter (playback), or the digital audio file/data itself can be clipped. (Nothing bad happens when you get close to 0dB, only if you try to go over.)

Acoustic loudness is measured in dB SPL (sound pressure level). The 0dB SPL reference is approximately the quietest sound that can be heard so SPL levels are positive. There are other dB references for electrical signals, etc. There is usually no calibration between digital levels and SPL levels because it depends on the volume control, amplifier, speakers, etc. But there is a correlation... If you turn-down the digital level by -6dB, the acoustic loudness also goes down by -6dB.

* For example, with 16-bits you can "count" from -32,768 to +32,767. (If you want to count higher, it takes more bits.) If you have a 16-bit file that hits those values on the negative 7 positive peaks, your peaks are hitting 0dB. Normally, you don't see those raw numbers bu i if you go to to Options -> Window -> Axis numbering you can change see 8-bit or 16-bit values on the waveform scale. Everything is automatically scaled during recording/playback so a 0dB 8-bit files plays as loud as a 0dB 24-bit file. Floating-point (which GoldWave uses internally) uses a different 0dB reference and floating-point audio data can go over 0dB.
msm

Post by msm »

Thanks for this detailed response. I will try the CD reader in Goldwave next time I do this, and thanks also for the explanation of db. The 6 db / 50% rule sounds like it will be enough to figure out what I need to do.
Best -
Michael