Curious reaction when saving (GW 6.51)

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Piteur

Curious reaction when saving (GW 6.51)

Post by Piteur »

Hi.

With Goldwave 6.51, used under Windows 10 Home, I encounter a little problem from time to time.

Here's what I do:
- With Goldwave already running, I open a FLAC file by dragging and dropping it from a Windows Explorer window into the Goldwave window...
- I do my changes to the file
- I want to save it: CTRL + S or "File > Save".
- I get an alert telling me that it is impossible to be saved because the file is open elsewhere, etc. (= locked)
- I try in vain to save the file in the same format (FLAC), but by changing the name; impossible with the same format, which seems somewhat absurd.
- closing any other open apps does not unlock the situation.
- I save in another format (Wav) and I try from there, without closing / opening anything, to do a "save as ... FLAC" : same refusal
- so I close Goldwave completely and reopen the Wav file in a new Goldwave session.
- I do a "save as" accepting the overwriting of the original FLAC file: no problem !!

I often proceed by drag and drop to open a file (the other favorite method is to use the "open with..." context menu); I never encountered this problem with previous versions of Goldwave (software I've been using for a long time with great pleasure!); no other of my softwares has confronted me with a similar difficulty…

Any ideas? Any advice? Any additional information to communicate?

Thank you very much...

(sorry if my English is wrong or awkward: it's not my main language!)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Curious reaction when saving (GW 6.51)

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A problem was found in the latest update related to FLAC files. That will be fixed in the next update.
Piteur

Post by Piteur »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am
A problem was found in the latest update related to FLAC files. That will be fixed in the next update.
I have no apprehension about that!

Goldwave really is a great software!

Many thanks…
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I've been running some tests on this in 6.51, but have not been able to duplicate the problem yet, so it may not be related to the problem that was fixed for the next update. I've drag-and-dropped a FLAC file from File Explorer, made a simple change, then saved it. No errors appeared.

Does the problem occur with other file types or only with FLAC?
Piteur

Post by Piteur »

Sorry, I don't know, since I now avoid opening a file by drag and drop in Goldwave.

The problem happened several times on FLAC files, not on others (but I don't really handle other formats in Goldwave), that's all I can say...
Piteur

Post by Piteur »

Hello.

I seem to have forgotten during the last two Goldwave sessions that I had to give up opening a FLAC file by drag and drop. As a result, both times, it was impossible to save in FLAC format after my interventions on the opened file. Each time, I had to (and could) save in WAV format...

After closing the open files, I reopened the WAV files and was able to save them in FLAC format. The problem only occurs with Goldwave: none of my other applications have it.

It's pretty weird, isn't it?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Let me know if the latest update helps.
Piteur

Re: Curious reaction when saving (GW 6.52)

Post by Piteur »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:55 am
Let me know if the latest update helps.
Hello.

Some news about Goldwave 6.52. [ Windows 10 Home, v. 2004 ]

Loading a Flac file using the context menu in Windows Explorer (Goldwave previously launched or not): no problem ;

Loading from the Goldwave "Open" menu: no problem ;

Loading by dragging and dropping on the previously launched Goldwave window (usually by activating the window by first dragging on the button on the taskbar): very often, an impossibility to save the Flac file, even when I ask for saving immediately after opening (so unmodified file). In this case, I save in WAV, close everything, reopen the WAV in a new Goldwave session, and save without any problem in FLAC format.

Strange, isn’t it? :cry:
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

We'll check into it some more.
Piteur

Post by Piteur »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:11 pm
We'll check into it some more.
Many thanks. — I still find it very strange! :shock: 🙂
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

One issue that has occurred in the past is that when you drag-and-drop a file from Explorer, Explorer keeps a lock on the file, preventing GoldWave from saving over the original. Have you tried selecting a different file in Explorer (or closing Explorer) before trying to save the file in GoldWave?
Piteur

Post by Piteur »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:56 pm
One issue that has occurred in the past is that when you drag-and-drop a file from Explorer, Explorer keeps a lock on the file, preventing GoldWave from saving over the original. Have you tried selecting a different file in Explorer (or closing Explorer) before trying to save the file in GoldWave?
Okay, I will pay attention to it for a few days.

But that doesn't explain why this problem has only occurred since the last two or three Goldwave updates... I'm not a recent user of this software (and I've had Windows 10 for a while too)!