Uncompressed Video File

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
jdeligiannis

Uncompressed Video File

Post by jdeligiannis »

I have some rare VHS tapes that have never been released to DVD. They are promotional music videos. I want to extract them to my PC in an **uncompressed** video format (for best possible quality). I know how to extract the footage, but what extensions represent **uncompressed** format? MPEG2, AVI, WMV?

Also, does anyone know how large one of these would be? The size will be worth it, due to the rarity. I plan to just use a lot of DVDs to store them onto. I am just curious of the sizes per minute (around 5 minutes I'd say). What about the size of a TV show episode (about 22 minutes)?

Also, let's say I am able to save these videos to the format I desire, and then I burned them to a DVD without compression (if possible). Would the DVD players being made today be able the read the files and play the footage as a normal, retail DVD, or would I need to compress them to some other video format for viewing purposes?

Thanks.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Hi! "Uncompressed" video is usually an avi file that's, uh, uncompressed. :wink: That means that the saved audio & video are at the same resolution as when they were captured, & not processed to shrink the file size. MPEG, WMV, Real etc. are compression formats...Cinepack, Indeo, DivX, XviD are some others. For the best quality, capturing your video uncompressed is the way to go, but beware...the file sizes will be enormous.
If you want to burn your caps from tape to dvd, you'll have to convert the video to MPEG2 format, 720x480, & the audio to 48000kHz. Most good dvd burning software can perform these conversions for you.

Once you've burned your dvd correctly, it will play on most home dvd players.

Good luck!
Stiiv