Can it make Songs Instrumental?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
vipin

Can it make Songs Instrumental?

Post by vipin »

Hi everyone! This is my first post here.
I needed a software which could make a song instrumental. I requested it on one forum and they told me the GoldWave has many nice features and it may help me :) .
So I downloaded Goldwave but I am not able to get how to make the songs intrumental :( . Although some people have suggested me that totally instrumental can be done only with the use of proper hardware devices but MIDI conversion is possible.
Please tell me if your software can do the job for me.
Thanx
Vipin
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Vipin:

First I will assume that what you mean about "make a song instrumental", is removing the vocal parts. Is this correct?

If so, vocals can be at least partially removed. I don't know how well, because I've never tried it.

There is an icon (pair of lips with an X below). If you can't find that, use the drop down menu: Effect/Stereo/Reduce Vocals.

The file must be stereo, because how it works is this: generally with a singer, the sound is on both the left and right channels and balanced. Without getting into the technical aspect, Goldwave "cancels" the left channel with the right channel.

What I would suggest is that you load up the wave file, click the icon or use the drop-down menu, then when the Reduce Vocals box appears, click on help before you try anything. Read carefully and then do some trial and error testing.

Don't confuse midi with sound. Midi is not sound; it is a set of instructions to a digital instrument, telling it what sounds to produce. Goldwave is a wave editor that works with wave or sound files. It does not apply to Midi at all.

If you have a midi file, it can be edited in a sequencing program (I use one on a daily basis). A sequencing program can remove any instrument quite easily, or change its sound. However, there are no midi files with voice. This is because there are no "digital instruments" that can receive a digital signal and produce human voice. Actually there are (digital voice on answering machines), but I know of none that can produce a singing voice.

There are some others on this forum that know a lot more about removing vocals than I do - hopefully they will add some information.

PN
vipin

Post by vipin »

piano nick wrote:Vipin:

First I will assume that what you mean about "make a song instrumental", is removing the vocal parts. Is this correct?

PN
yeah, I meant that thing, ur trick looks nice, If I get success, I will post back here.
Thanx for the help,.
Vipin
DewDude420

kinda

Post by DewDude420 »

Goldwave has a somewhat simple method of doing a vocal removal. It works by doing either a simple cancellation, bandstop, or both.

Most vocals are in the "center" of the sound stage, meaning it's in-phase in both channels. Goldwave basically applies a phase-cancellation, which removes everything that is in phase.

In theory, this works, the downside is it doesn't always work and you're left with a mono file.

To add some of the stereo back, goldwave allows you to only apply a certin amount of cancellation (more than likely adjusting the amount of phase shift) and apply a bandstop, which stops frequencies.

It similar to what pro-logic does...which works by isolating everything shifted by 180 degrees between channels.

The phase shift idea can only do so much, however, there is a method that will give you full stereo removal.

If you're up for buying it, despite the heafty price tag (and, i did, cuz there's one plugin i absolutely love that is only for this program) Adobe Audition (formally CoolEditPro) has a "Center Channel Extractor" which uses some advanced FFT tricks to remove the center channel, or, totally isolate it.

it's not perfect, there's a LOT of noise left over from the process, similar to the leftover junk from noise reduction. It's also not a simple plugin. You've got adjustments for the degree of phase you want to isolate, a cross over (because most of the time lower bass is centered), phase descrimination settings..all that jazz.

The results, are, quite honestly, night and day. I've had some songs turn out like complete karoke versions without the excessive echoing, some turn out like crap.

You also don't want to do this with any kind of lossy comrpessed audio. Soon as you do a phase shift EVERY artifact from encoding shows up.

If you want some samples, let me know and i'll toss some up, i'm too lazy to right now.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

actually, i just remembered, i have a winamp DSP plugin that does a very similar process, only it's not as customizable, but it works rather nicely.

http://www.moitah.net/dsp_centercut-1_2_0.zip

drop the DLL into your winamp directory.

i can't believe i forgot about this.