"View-Show contents" suddenly broken!?

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
sparge

"View-Show contents" suddenly broken!?

Post by sparge »

I've been a 100% satisfied user of Multiquence v2.02 for over 4 years now, so I know the score, but I've just stumbled into the oddest problem which has me completely baffled. Yesterday, I was working on a project, with Show contents working as normal. Tonight it is not working - but only for new sections that I add. When the main window is zoomed sufficiently, all the sections I added yesterday have their waveforms displayed; all the ones I add tonight do not. If I uncheck Show contents and then recheck it again, all yesterday's sections blank out and then reappear; all today's sections just stubbornly stay blank.

(Yes, I have rebooted; yes, I have run a virus check ... :wink: )

My first thought was that the latest Windows Hotfix had broken something, but that doesn't work as an explanation. It could explain a situation where Show contents was completely broken, but not, I think, a differential situation like this one. I've satisfied myself, never having had cause to think about it before, that Show contents is a global setting, and not something that is associated with each section according to how Show contents was set at the time the section was first added; but at the moment, it's not behaving like one.

Please does anyone have any ideas :?: It's making it rather difficult to mix audio tracks together ... Hopefully,

Andy
OKCBoy

Re: "View-Show contents" suddenly broken!?

Post by OKCBoy »

Were the files in the "good" sections created differently than the files in the sections that are having problems? That is, were they recorded using different software, settings, etc.? Just a hunch.
sparge wrote:I've been a 100% satisfied user of Multiquence v2.02 for over 4 years now
On a different note, upgrading ($11.00 US) may solve the problem along with bringing other benefits. There were some improvements made in 2.50 regarding Show | Contents. From a standpoint of overall increased functionality, it may be worth it.
sparge

Has my registration started to decay ;-)

Post by sparge »

Unfortunately no, if only it were that simple :cry: All the tracks were recorded the same way - using Goldwave, as it happens.

I didn't say that I already verified that the problem is time- and not project- or content-related, by starting a new project: sections added that display contents in other projects now do not.

After I read your post I did the acid test. I started from the project I created yesterday (day before yesterday, now) where all the files do display contents, created a new track, and added a file already in the project to it. So now I have that track in the project twice: once added two days ago, and once just now. The old one shows contents, the new one does not :?

I have wondered about upgrading before. It's not the $11 that's stopping me :shock: I haven't because v2.02 does everything I want it to (1), and I wouldn't want to upgrade only to find that things that worked now have new bugs in them because of new features that I'm not going to use.

(1) which isn't to say that there aren't one or two little things that aren't quite right. For example, when adding a new track in v2.50, does it slot in adjacent to the currently-selected track, rather than always at the end as happens in v2.02? If so, that alone might be worth the upgrade ...
OKCBoy

Re: Has my registration started to decay ;-)

Post by OKCBoy »

sparge wrote:After I read your post I did the acid test.
Yeah. That test pretty much shows the problem is in the executable. I don't recall exactly, but that version of Multiquence may have been using the Borland Windows Custom Control library. If so, it's possible the library (.dll) file has become corrupted.

You can verify by checking in the folder where Multiquence is installed, and see if you find a file called bwcc32.dll. If so, that version is using the Borland library. Then you can download a fresh copy of the library from:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... tml?bwcc32

...and then copy it over your current library. If the library was corrupt, that should fix the problem.
sparge wrote:I have wondered about upgrading before. It's not the $11 that's stopping me :shock: I haven't because v2.02 does everything I want it to (1), and I wouldn't want to upgrade only to find that things that worked now have new bugs in them because of new features that I'm not going to use.
I had the same fear. However, I've upgraded twice now, and I have to say that Chris is my kind of programmer...very particular about the quality of software he's putting out. I have yet to run across anything that was working that is now broken. I think you're safe.
sparge wrote:which isn't to say that there aren't one or two little things that aren't quite right. For example, when adding a new track in v2.50, does it slot in adjacent to the currently-selected track, rather than always at the end as happens in v2.02? If so, that alone might be worth the upgrade ...
Great idea! You should re-post that as a suggestion in the Multiquence general forum.

I've submitted several functionality suggestions, and Chris has implemented over half of them (not just because I requested, but others have too.) I'm impressed with his responsiveness to his customers.

Good luck.
sparge

Aaaaaarrrggghh ...

Post by sparge »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Found the problem! Suddenly this morning, everything was working normally again. Without going into the details of the bumbling way in which my lightbulb finally went on, this audio project that I'm working on ... every file is in both wav and mp3 format, the wavs are in one folder, the mp3s are in another, and both are subfolders of the project folder. I had opened the mp3 folder rather than the wav folder. The Open File dialogue looks similar enough (same file listing, same icon because both file types associated with same app) that (especially at 01:00) I never twigged. And because Multiquence remembered the folder, I never twigged next time I opened it up, either. Needless to say, once I did realize, the folder name was a bit of a giveaway ....
:oops: :oops: :oops:

And yes, I have noticed that v2.52 includes waveform display for mp3s :wink: Actually, that would have been a two-edged sword, because I would never have noticed my error, and the reason I'm keeping the wavs as well as the mp3s is so I get the highest possible sound quality when I save the whole thing as a wav.

Thanks for your replies. User fora are great ...

Andy