feature requests

GoldWave general discussions and community help
dsunde

feature requests

Post by dsunde »

I looked all over for the proper place to post feature requests and I couldn't find it. Sorry if I missed it.

Here are my requests:
1) The "Batch Processing" dialog does not have any accelerator keys on any of the buttons, like most other dialogs do. It would be great if you could add them. I have written a program to assist in automatically splitting, naming and cleaning up my vinyl recordings. It sends keystrokes to GoldWave to do this. Without accerator keys it is not as accurate as it could be.

2) A "Save All" button would be great. I process a lot of files and it is a pain to have to wait for each one to save. I saw a trick in this forum for pre-naming files. Using that, it would be great if I could do all my edits, then click "Save All" and go watch a movie while GoldWave chugs away. (My audio editing PC is a slow one.)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: feature requests

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I'll look into adding accelerator keys for some of the Batch Processing buttons. A "Save All" and/or a "Close All" command is planned for a future update.

Chris
dsunde

new feature request

Post by dsunde »

My son has been using GoldWave for several hours a day, converting all my vinyl and cassettes to MP3s. (Yes, I'm paying him :) ) I asked him if he has any feature requests, and he said just this one:

Allow to select multiple different sections in a sound file at the same time. For example, he would like to manually select the silence between each song in a recording of an entire cassette. Then in one click, he could delete them all. Another click could set a cue point at each one.

It seems to me not much easier than doing them one by one, but I said I'd pass it on.

You would probably have to do it by holding the shift or control key while making the selections.
Sarge

Re: new feature request

Post by Sarge »

dsunde wrote: Allow to select multiple different sections in a sound file at the same time. For example, he would like to manually select the silence between each song in a recording of an entire cassette. Then in one click, he could delete them all. Another click could set a cue point at each one.
If you click on CUES, and click on "Auto Cue" under the cues window, it will automatically set a cue point in between each of the songs, where there is dead silence. I think this is what you are talking about that you wish for a future request (cause if so, its already there). Then your son, if he wishes can use the "insert silence" to his own desired length by just copying one of the silences, and pasting it in between the songs where the "auto cue" would be placed. Hoped that helped, unless I'm understanding this incorrectly. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
dsunde

Post by dsunde »

We don't want to insert silence, we want to remove it. AutoCue sets too many cue points. It tends to set a cuepoint at the end of a song AND at the beginning of the next one. For spiltting songs, we just want a cuepoint at the start of each song.

The feature he is asking for is to highlight several different sections of a sound file at once so he can do something to all of them with one click.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding, as I said I wasn't fully sure what you were asking for, but I see it now. Sorry, I can't really help you any further.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Normally a single cue point would be set in the middle of the silence between songs, unless there is some noise in the silence. Try increasing the "minimum separation" value or increasing the threshold.

To eliminate the silences you can split the recording into individual songs, then use Batch Processing on all the songs with the AutoTrim effect added to remove leading and trailing silence.

Multiple selections is not something that can be added to GoldWave.

Chris
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Chris, my friend who uses the program at my house as much as I do asked me to ask if theres time before the next update, if you could bring back the on screen keyboard for the expression evaluator (with the shortcuts for sin,cos, tan, etc), like you had in version 4?

I'm only asking cause he preferred using the on screen keyboard vs. the regular keyboard (dont ask me why, but hes been going back into V. 4 just to use it)... if so, thanks a million!

Maybe you can also add the option to enable/disable it to take off the screen (for users who dont want to use it, and wont take up as much room on the screen. But my friend said he'd really appreciate it if you brought it back.

Sarge
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If there is additional interest, the evaluator buttons might be included again, but I don't think it has been mentioned until now. The buttons are quicker only if you know where everything is. Otherwise it is usually quicker to type an expression in. If the buttons are added again, they'd have to be rearranged to fit in some new ones.

Chris
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:The buttons are quicker only if you know where everything is. Otherwise it is usually quicker to type an expression in.
I totally agree with that, I told my friend almost the exact same thing you just stated. But he said the reason why he really wants it back is because he makes less mistakes when using the on screen keyboard. Sometimes he'll type in an equation, and might have sin, sqrt, or rate (or one of the values typed wrong) this way, he can be sure its typed correctly (just by pressing the button). Cause looking through a long equation can be a little tiresome I guess when you mispell the whole equation by one letter and it comes out all wrong (maybe you can call him lazy?). But I understand if more people ask, the more likey you'll bring it back, cause you cant just base it on us 2 users. :D

Sarge
PeachGirl

Post by PeachGirl »

Sarge wrote:if theres time before the next update, if you could bring back the on screen keyboard for the expression evaluator (with the shortcuts for sin,cos, tan, etc), like you had in version 4?

I'm only asking cause he preferred using the on screen keyboard vs. the regular keyboard (dont ask me why, but hes been going back into V. 4 just to use it)... if so, thanks a million!
Yes, I would also love that. :!: I feel the same way your friend does sarge. I liked how when you pressed one of the buttons the preset buttons the "(" would come after sin, cos, tan, sqrt. I liked that, because I ususally forgot to do that part, and I'd be wandering through the whole equation at what went wrong, and that was one of the main things I usually missed (when I used the keyboard in the current version.

I always wondered if this was in the newest version, and wondered if it was still hidden in there, cause I went to find it one day, and couldn't.
I like that idea :idea: of the click to enable/disable it the sarge had mentioned, for those who don't want it.

I visit these forums occasionally, but I just registered now to let the designer know that you sarge (and your friend) aren't the only ones who would also like the on screen keyboard returned, because I probably feel I need it more than you guys, cause now, if I use version 5, I make way too many mistakes, when using it in version 5, without the keyboard. I hope this isn't too much to ask. I would really love it back too! :!:

Awesome request Sarge, hope my feedback helps, cause now the demand as Chris from GoldWave said, "If there is additional interest", they might be included. So heres to the additional intrest, and my new account! :D
Holden

Post by Holden »

I think it would be cool if, in a future update on the Goldwave software, if there could be a way to completely split vocals for a track and the music. Know what I mean? Is this even possible? Could it, through some complex programming, become possible?

Holden
dsunde

feature requests

Post by dsunde »

I was going to request adding a play button in the Cue List window so you could highlight any cue in the list and start playback from there to the next cue. Then I found that you can do the same thing by pressing Ctrl-J during playback (outside of the Cue List window). But I still think it would be a good idea to add the play button to the window.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: feature requests

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A GoldWave plug-in is in the works to support some Winamp DSP plug-ins. That would allow you to use the Center Cut Winamp plug-in to remove vocals or music.

You can right-click on a cue point triangle in the Sound window to choose the "Play From Cue" command. A similar feature may be added to the Cue Points window.

Chris
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

PeachGirl wrote:Awesome request Sarge, hope my feedback helps, cause now the demand as Chris from GoldWave said, "If there is additional interest", they might be included. So heres to the additional intrest, and my new account! :D
Glad to see you and my friend almost think alike. Well I dont know if three people will count as additional intrest for the request, but its a start, right? Anyways... thanks for acknowledgement, and welcome to the boards PeachGirl!

Sarge