5 minute recording time only

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I downloaded the software (vers. 5.14) to put vinyl tracks on CD. It works well except I cannot record longer than 5 minutes. Is this a shareware restriction or is there something I don't do right?
I press 'New', in the 'New Sound' window in 'Initial file length' I enter 25 minutes and in 'Presets' I select 'Vinyl LP record to CD, one side'.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Rupert.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Once you open Goldwave, look at the upper left corner and find the button that says "New". Click that and a box appears, look for the field captioned "Initial File Length". From there, you can select whatever available length you find appropriate. Twenty Five minutes is not available on the list, but thirty minutes is available.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Something else you can try:

Click: Options->Control Properties->Record->Unbounded.

If you want to remove the "ticks & pops" from your recordings, check out a program called Wave Repair ($30 USD). It can work miracles, but it can be very time-consuming to manually zoom-in on the defects... So, you might want to run GoldWave's Pop/Click filter first. More than once, I've spent a full weekend fixing-up an LP recording.

Also, the author of Wave Repair has another web site with lots of LP-to-CD hints & tips.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks for your reply.
I can choose a given number of minutes or a pre-set time.
No matter, the recording cuts off after 5 minutes.
The other suggestion, 'Control Properties, Record, Unbounded', does not make a difference.
(Anybody with ) .. another suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

(I'm excited to have gotten this far. I finally want to put my old Stones albums on CDs).

Rupert.
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

Sounds like you dont have enough memory to be recording long files. Can you list youre PC's hardware config?

Maybe youre running out of memory.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Sounds like Togglehead has the right idea. Try Options/Storage/Temp Storage & select the "hard drive" radio button.
Stiiv
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Rupert et al:

Is the cut-off time exactly five minutes, or does it vary? A shortage of memory wouldn't seem to be the cause if the length is always right on five minutes would it?

How much RAM do you have (Rupert)?

One of the things I like about GW is the ability to record to RAM, thereby not having to worry about data transfer rates or hard drive speed/defrag. I wish all other software had this feature.

PN
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

if he is recording at the same format, with the same apps running in the bacground....it is very possible to have the recording cutoff at the same time each time....

....although yes...somewhat unlikely....its not a bad thing to rule out.