copy between files

General discussions and questions about MULTIQUENCE
spenlinhauer

copy between files

Post by spenlinhauer »

Is there anyway to copy between files?
we have been working in incremental saves and we would like to copy some edits from a previous save into a current version, but when we have them open they do not copy.

Thanks
SEPP!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: copy between files

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Use Edit | Copy to copy the audio into GoldWave's internal clipboard. You can then open (or select) the other file and use Edit | Paste or edit Edit | Replace.

Chris
spenlinhauer

Post by spenlinhauer »

Thank you, I figured out that one, but I was hoping to be able to copy between two open files - but it seems that because the files open in separate windows/instances, they can not "talk to" each other.

The current method will work for now, but it might a nice feature to add in the future....
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I don't understand what you mean. You can copy between two open files in the way I described. Maybe you can give an example of what you mean.

Chris
MattTisch

Post by MattTisch »

I don't understand what you mean. You can copy between two open files in the way I described. Maybe you can give an example of what you mean.
I know what he means, I have experienced it as well.

I open large files, normally greater than 4 hours of vocal only, each in a separate window. I do this when I'm converting A.U.D.I.B.L.E. files. I then delete certain parts and save them by exiting (closing) the main window.
If I have several files open in the same window, I have to wait for each file to begin the save process, tell me that it's an incorrect file type, choose the type of file to be saved in, then wait for it to finish saving, then do the next one, and repeat...
If they're in separate windows, i.e. GoldWave is launched anew for each file, then I can close and save them all at virtually the same time, and walk away from the computer and let it finish the saving and closing.

But, back to the point of this post.

If I use copy, it copies to the same window only. It does not use DDE or any other means to allow access to other open GoldWave windows.
Copy to... seems to allow you to save the selection to a file on disk, but not to one in memory in separate instance of GoldWave.

I hope this makes sense.

BTW, I always use the latest version of GW, currently it's 5.25.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave stopped using the Windows clipboard for audio since version 5. There were too many problems with having a large amount of data in the clipboard. On some versions of Windows, it would cause the computer to freeze.

Unfortunately that means that copying and pasting audio between Windows programs (or separate instances of GoldWave) is not possible anymore, but the computer is much more stable after long editing sessions. You can save the selection to a file and import that into another program.

Chris